Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mid-Year Goal Reflections...

Allright, half way through 2011!  I really like doing these reflections; it helps keep me on track and re-focus on the areas that need it. Here are my mid-year reflections...

Goal 1 - Catch up on scrapbooking
      *I've been wondering if online scrapbooking is the way to go after a couple of friends suggested it...I've made an on-line Hong Kong scrapbook and it's ready to print, but for some reason I'm having a really hard time "giving up" my personal scrapbooking.  I think I love the 3D aspect of the books (using actual pictures, tickets, brochures, being able to include cards and such), so that's the struggle.  I might order this book and then re-evalute after that. 
 
Goal 2 - Become active/involved at Cornerstone
     *Kind of been slow on this one.  Still involved in small group and getting to know people, but NEED to find another way to get ourselves involved!  This will be an area to really focus on in the next quarter...
 
Goal 3 - Get trained in foster care
     *Have been to four classes, and are well on our way to being certified!  Lots of mental/emotional processing, and TONS of paperwork! 
 
Goal 4 - Become conversational in Spanish
     *Yeah, we won't talk about this one. :)  Not so much happening, and re-evaluating if this is even the language I actually want to learn.  Thinking about sign language instead...if I could learn it with my dad and other family members, I'd actually use it on a daily basis!

Goal 5 - Save up to buy a nice bike
     * DONE!


Goal 6 - Have a garden/do some canning
     *Hmmm...so the garden planting "window" was right at the end of school and during Amy's wedding, and after we missed the initial push, we didn't really jump on it after that.  My mom did plant some tomatoes/asparagus/peppers, and I'm hoping to get some potted herbs soon.  Can that count as my first garden?  Also, with all this reading about raw foods and the larger health benefits of eating raw I'm kind of re-evaluating my desire to learn how to can foods.  Maybe just tomatoes?
 
Goal 7 - Work through my elementary curriculum
    *Had an AWESOME 2-day work session with my friend Marie, and just have 3 more grades to work through.  I've decided not to even think about school again until August, so hopefully I'll rock it out then and be able to officially check this one off.

Goal 8 - Level 1 Kodaly Certification
    *Registered and scheduled for class the last two weeks of July, and just got the informational e-mail today.  Wahoo!


Goal 9 - Finish a marathon
     *Didn't end up running the Minneapolis Half like I wanted to...it was the week after Amy's wedding, and I just didn't have the time to do it.  HOWEVER, my stellarly inspirational workout buddy Natalie has agreed to run the Des Moines marathon with me (except that she'll actually have a goal of rocking the marathon, whereas I just want to finish it!), so I'm into week 2 of marathon training.  I've also been doing this boot camp with her every morning that's helping get me ready to train, both physically and mentally.

Goal 10 - $18,000 of student loans paid off, $4,000 in savings
     *Surprisingly, we're about 3/4 of the way to meeting this goal!  I really don't know how it happened, except that we got a sweet 2-year tax return that knocked out a bunch of it.  And you're right Brian, it is addicting!  Coupon clipping has never looked so good!

AND: the +1....
Goal 11 - Be more intentional with communication/interaction.
     *I'd say this is great some weeks and not so hot others, depending on to-do lists and schedules.  In all I'm feeling great about the support group/friends we have here in Ames, but now I'm struggling to keep in contact with people that aren't here physically...my brother, Katie, etc.  We have been intentional to take small trips to visit people (cousins, friends from India, etc.), so that's been good.
______________________________________________

Year Focus:
Bearing Fruit 

I find myself forgetting that so many of the Holy Spirit's fruit are internal...and that outward actions will flow from a spirit-filled life.  I've been dealing with lots of emotions and deep insecurities, and struggle each day to really give them over to the Lord.  I guess that's my "fruit" right now, is getting out of myself and really letting the Holy Spirit move in me to get rid of myself.
______________________________________________

Extra Goal: Read 24 Books
    *Just finished book #13, and thankfully most of those I've been able to actually read.  Yay!  I'm going to try and get to 20 before the school year starts since I have so much less time when working full time.  

FINAL REFLECTION: Feeling pretty good about the progress!  Need to: get more involved at Cornerstone, use my time well toward intentional communication, keep working on books, get some potted herbs, and decide whether or not this Spanish thing is ever going to fly. :) 

2 comments:

The Paine Family said...

Inspiring!! Love the concert pics!! Looked amazing and you look so cute!

Rachel Farley said...

Girl!! You are one ambitious, amazing, determined woman!!

I am honored to call you my friend :)

I am so proud of all the progress you have made.

I say put Spanish on hold and pick up sign language. Just a thought though.

Great post and you're inspiring!!!

Ummm... I miss you and we should talk soon.

XoXo