Monday, June 27, 2011

Book #13: "The Hunger Games"

Book #13: "The Hunger Games"
By Suzanne Collins



Chris found these books when he was looking for a new audiobook, and couldn't stop listening, so I thought I should check it out.  I had heard about these books before but just never read them.  I've just finished the first of the trilogy, and it was SO GOOD!

The story takes place in future North America, after a huge climate change and subsequent world war that shifted the entire planet.  North America now consists of one country named Panem, which is comprised of one capitol city and 12 districts.  The main character, Catnis, is a girl from District 12, which is one of the poorest and least esteemed districts in the country.

Many years ago the districts rebelled against the capitol and lost.  However, in order to remind them of their failure and punish their rebellion, the capitol created the "Hunger Games".  In the hunger games one boy and one girl are randomly chosen from each district to enter "the arena" (a huge area in the wilderness) and fight to the death.  It is the capitol's way of reminding the districts that they don't even have control over whether or not their children live or die.  

At first I was really turned off by the book's subject, but after I started reading it got hooked immediately.  There are a lot of deeper messages and it really made me think.  Highly recommended!

I'm starting to realize that I've never not given a book two thumbs up.  Either I somehow stumble upon wonderful books or I just really love to read...but I guess I don't really mind either way. :)

3 comments:

Matt and Amy Farley said...

I've heard that these are amazing and you end up thinking about them ALL the time. I'll have to pick them up one of these days! :)

Bridget said...

Hey Nicole! I have really enjoyed reading your blog, fun to take a peek in your life! I just had to comment b/c we have read several of the same books this year! Radical, 3 Cups of Tea, and now The Hunger Games! Funny! Hope you're enjoying your summer!

Rachel Farley said...

I have heard all about these and I think I need to read them!