Monday, April 27, 2009

Apparently I'm healthy. Bummer!

I should clarify...I'm SO thankful for where God has brought me physically, but in spite of my deep-down thankfulness, I'm struggling with some frustrations. Here's the scoop...

I went to Mayo last Wednesday to discuss the "growth" found in my abdomen, and apparently it's not another cyst. They called it a Lymphoseal, and decided that instead of operating to take it out, they wanted to insert an abscess drain to try and drain the fluid in hopes that the lymph vessels would seal if the fluid was cleared out consistently. They said it would most likely be "uncomfortable", but I would be able to live life normally while it was in.

NOT TRUE! I had a pretty negative reaction to them putting the drain in (P.S., it's a green little tube stuck into the side of my stomach...seriously disturbing to look at. I kind of feel like an alien.), and was in debilitating pain for the next couple of days. Saturday I felt much better and "sucked it up" to sing in a wedding...TOTALLY overdid it, and had a really rough day yesterday and today. Last night I didn't end up falling asleep until 4:30, had cold sweats and a fever of 101, and ended up thinking I had an infection. I had all the signs: severe abdominal pain, a change in the fluids being drained, and new chills/fever.

So we called up to Mayo today and were advised to go into our local ER for some testing...I was poked and prodded from 9:00-3:00, and subsequently found out that I'm totally "fine". My white blood cell count is fine, there's no sign of an infection, and the CT scan shows that the drain is right where it's supposed to be. I was ready to go in for emergency surgery...just fix me already!!!

Basically, I'm just struggling. I've definitely learned that I lack mental fortitude, as I have gotten discouraged so quickly throughout this process. But, I guess we'll never grow if we don't experience it!

Best thing that's come from this: I am SO in love with my husband. Chris is by far the best care taker I could ever imagine, and has shown me his love through his many many loving actions. He has become a light sleeper (NOT how he usually is!), and wakes up whenever I move around, not wanting me to be in pain alone. He's definitely showing me Christ's love in this situation, and I feel SO blessed.

Oh yeah, and I got some SWEET pain killers today! Maybe that'll fix everything!

Peace Out :)

3 comments:

AmberNDahl said...

I feel for what you are going through. I went through a milder situation like that last year and it was very frustrating. But I'm thankful the Lord has given you an awesome husband to be with you during this process. I'll be praying for you, Nicole!

STEPHANIE. said...

oh wow...I have been thinking about you so much lately. I am glad to hear that everything is going to be ok, I am just so sorry that you had to go through this. Arn't husbands amazing in these type of situations? The couple of days I labored with Will, I realized how in love I was with Thad; it's the bestest! :)....hang in there, you are such a tough girl!

Erika said...

I just prayed for you, Nicole! How absolutely not fun...the pain sounds terrible!! Thank goodness for husbands...he sounds like he is taking amazing care of you!! :) I'll be praying for you!