Tuesday, April 21, 2009

NO MORE FENCES!

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this situation all day...listened to 2 hours of talk radio about it, actually! Steve Deace is the most influential speaker I've ever listened to...check out his website here. His three main goals are: 1. To love God, 2. To tell the truth, and 3. To make money. He ends each segment by simply saying, "Isaiah 61". He's not faithful to either political party, but instead struggles to find biblical truth in the issues, and discuss them candidly, which is so appreciated in a world of game-playing and back-stabbing.

Today he spoke about the Miss California's response to a question about gay marriage during the Miss USA contest. I saw it on T.V., but really didn't expect it was going to be so controversial. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out here...this clip really shows the whole story/reaction (unfortunate as it is).

The thing that really got me thinking after listening to the segment today was that we can't straddle the fence anymore. There are so many issues in politics...global warming, taxes, education, the budget. Most of these issues don't have a "right" or a "wrong" for Christians. We could find ourselves either right or left, and still be able to sleep at night knowing we haven't denied God. Not anymore.

We can't straddle this homosexual fence. If an individual accepts homosexuality into their morality, they canNOT accept Christ for who He says He is. If we lose this cultural battle, we lose the big battle. I didn't get it until today.

I still struggle with my thoughts on how much religion and politics should mix...I actually love that religion doesn't interact much with U.S. politics (theoretically at least)...religion + politics = Iraq, the crusades, lots of bad things! But, we're moving very quickly toward secular humanism, and that's scarier to me than any religious government. I think once we're there, there'll be no turning back.

So I guess the tough question is, what are we going to do about it? What does Christ REALLY ask us to do...if we take off the cultural films that we can't help but look at scripture through, how do we act? What's the base truth? Does it make us uncomfortable? How much have we already been touched by living in our relativistic culture? Do we ACTUALLY have a biblical worldview? I wonder...

3 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

I'm glad I know you.

STEPHANIE. said...

Great post Nicole!...and way to go Miss Cali! wow, I know I should not judge people from where they are from but especually coming from that state i would not expect that. I can't even believe Iowa right now! i think you are right and there are actually more christians right now that I know who are deceiving themselves into thinking they are gay. It really saddens me.
...and i definately am praying for you guys heading up to mayo today. God's Blessings, i hope to hear soon how everything went.

Erika said...

Beautifully written, Nicole! I am so with you...I've been so convicted lately that I am pretty passive with issues and I sometimes am silent just to be politically correct. Thanks for the extra motivation I need to take a stance on issues! :)