Monday, April 13, 2009

The whole story, finally!

So, here's the whole story!

You read about my health issues on an earlier post...what I didn't include in that post is that my first surgery happened 3 days before Chris and I were scheduled to attend an Overseas Teaching Fair. We considered not going to the fair, but decide Chris could do the grunt work, and I would just show up for the interviews! So, after a Tuesday surgery, I showed up Friday afternoon in a wheel chair, in dress pants that won't button (because my stomach is too swollen!), and unable to use my ab muscles. It was definitely a challenge to my desire for control...God took it all away from me, handed it to Chris (my leader...what do you know?!), and reminded me that I am not, in fact, all-knowing!

We ended up getting a job offer during the weekend from Woodstock School, in Mussoorie, India. We felt VERY overwhelmed from everything (I actually cried at the meeting where they offered us the job! SO professional, huh?!), so we asked for a week to decide whether or not we wanted to take the job. Long story short, we said yes!

Fast forward six weeks. My cyst is back one week before we had planned to tell my school. Now that the craziness is over, I feel very relieved and it doesn't seem so stressful. We still don't know what's up with these cysts, but decided that God will take care of it, and if it's a serious health problem, we won't go. However, we feel that our time in Webster City is finished. It feels really good to be at the same place in a decision

And so, today I told the world that we're going to India. We got lots of responses...excitement, shock, many tears, hugs, "we're sad for us but happy for you!". Overall it was a great day. I cried for almost two class periods straight, and we actually ended up not even singing during one period, because we were all crying/depressed! But then I told them about the monkeys and scorpions, and things perked up. :)

So, here's the news! WE'RE MOVING TO INDIA! We'll be working in a K-12 International School as a General Music Teacher (Me) and Programmer (Chris). The students and staff live on campus, so it seems to be a camp/school atmosphere, since we act as surrogate parents during the school year. It will be an AMAZING experience. Oh yeah, did I mention we'll be living in the Himalayan Mountains? And, that I'll have a housekeeper (because of the caste system it's required!). I won't have to cook, clean, do laundry...I might get a little lazy! We leave July 15th. I actually started sorting clothes today...1) Winter clothes we don't want in India, 2) Winter clothes we might want in India, 3) Clothes we don't like enough to take or store. It was pretty fun.

There's the whole story. Basically, God is good!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Glad the world gets to know now! I am sure it was hard keeping it a secret. So excited for you guys! Praying for everything that is going on.

STEPHANIE. said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing...I am sooo pumped for you!!! This is fantastic! When are you moving? Are you expected to stay a certain amount of time? do you plan to be back in the states eventually?...so then your health...? everything is ok now?...you have me worried, surprised, excited, etc. luv you girl. :)

Kelli B said...

Nicole!!!!!!

This is so exciting! I would really like to hear more - like how you came to this decision, and did you choose India or were you placed there? I'm SO excited for you guys - SO EXCITED!!!

I'd love to hear more. Already said that, I guess I'm just so curious! I love your steps forward towards this opportunity!

Maria said...

WOW, India! That's incredible Nicole! I'll be praying for you guys as you start this bittersweet time of excitement and sadness and change. God IS good and so I know He's got you right where He wants you! The safest place to be is in HIS will and HIS plan, whether that be Webster City or India :)
Thanks for sharing!!!

julia said...

Hi:) So i know i haven't see you in like years...but i have a cooool thing to tell you! I went to the Overseas fair too this year!! I'm headed off to Tampico mexico...but that is not why I'm writing:) haha.....to the point---The counselor at my school here in Kansas is going to be at Woodstock too!!! Crazy small world huh?? His name is Jeff...he'll be the middle school residential counselor or something like that. I just wanted to say congratulations about your move...I hope it goes well:)