Monday, April 06, 2009

Chitown with the Kiddies!

My posts lately have been so long...sorry! But, I figure if you don't want to read them, no one's making you, so here goes. This last weekend we had our band/choir trip to Chicago, and it was great! I'll go day-by-day, and throw in some pictures along the way.

THURSDAY:
4:00 PM - All students report to the high school, put their tags on their bags, and head to their bus
4:30 PM - We head out!
6:00 PM - Arrive in Johnston for an educational clinic. It was great, I think we really improved!
9:00 PM - Leave Johnston HS, go to Pump-It-Up (a big blow-up playground designed to WEAR THEM OUT!)
11:30 PM - Head out for Chicago!

It was a LONG, uncomfortable ride without much sleep. My favorite memory came around 3:00 AM...I was cuddled up UNDERNEATH our seats in the second row, and I was awakened by a group of choir boys singing "Prayer of the Children" at the top of their lungs. They continued to sing every choir song we've performed over the last couple of years...pleasant, huh?

I didn't take any pictures on the first leg of the trip, I was still in teacher mode!

FRIDAY:
6:30 AM - Arrive at a fast food restaurant, get dressed and ready for the day.
9:00 AM - Arrive at the Hancock Building to get a great view of Chicago..and, Katie met up with us!
11:00-3:00 PM - We had time to shop and walk around the Magnificent Mile. Got some cute tops! And, hung out at Borders to read a book on photography...I'm trying to become a better photographer, so I LOVE looking at pictures of our experiences.

4:00 PM - Saw the Blue Man Group...it was unreal, and everyone should go, especially if you're a kid at heart :)7:00 - 7:30 PM - Unload baggage at the hotel (which was so nice), then load the bus back up to go to Medieval Times.
8:30 PM - Experience Medieval Times!

11:30 PM - Lights Out

SATURDAY:
9:00 AM - Arrive at the Lincoln Zoo...lots of cute animals.


10:30 - 1:00 PM - Got dropped off with the possibility of eating at five different restaurants: Ed Debevics, Gino's East, Rainforest Cafe, Hardrock Cafe, and Rock 'n' Roll McDonalds. We ate lunch at Gino's, and dessert at Ed Debevics so we could experience both.

2:00 PM - Saw RENT...don't know how appropriate it was for a school function, but it was AWESOME!4:30 PM - Went to Millenium Park5:30 PM - Went to Navy Pier...ate supper, did some people watching, saw fireworks, etc.
9:30 PM - Back to the hotel...LOTS of chaperoning
11:30 PM - Lights out

SUNDAY:
9:30 AM - Drop the kiddies off at the train station, and let them make their way downtown to the Museum of Science and Industry. Amazingly, no one will be showing up on a milk carton after this weekend!
11:00 AM - To the Museum...it was pretty cool, but everyone was so tired they were definitely ready to go by the end.2:00 PM - End of the trip, back to WC!

It was a great trip, and I was so happy Chris got to come. Sometimes all I can see are the things my job makes me give up, but this trip is a great example of things I get to do that I wouldn't have without this job. Great experiences, great people, good times!

1 comment:

STEPHANIE. said...

looks like lots of fun...you did a lot!!!!....but you forgot to stop in the quad cities on our way...:)jk