Saturday, December 31, 2011

Final Goal Reflection, 2011

End of Year = Final Goal Reflection!

 Goal 1 - Catch up on scrapbooking
      *I have officially "made the change" to online scrapbooking!  It feels really good...and I'm officially done with our Hong Kong trip and Ireland trip.  I'm working on Chile, and should be done in a couple of days.  India is a bit more overwhelming than anticipated since there are just SO MANY pictures, but I'm going to rock it out and just ATTACK it.  Fingers crossed, this one will get done by end of January?! 

Goal 2 - Become active/involved at Cornerstone
     *DONE - but hoping for more now. :)  We decided to pull out of the PK room, and I've joined the worship band while Chris is starting on the tech team this Sunday.  We're LOVING our small group, and are excited to see how God will continue to grow relationships and challenge us through those people.  I'd really like to get involved with the International Ministry and maybe some short-term missions trips, so that's the next goal!

Goal 3 - Get trained in foster care
     *DONE!

Goal 4 - Become conversational in Spanish
     *Didn't happen…this was a pretty lofty goal without having an outlet to practice, I should be more realistic sometimes :)

Goal 5 - Save up to buy a nice bike
     * DONE!
 
Goal 6 - Have a garden/do some canning
     *I got a basil plant - but I decided not to count this. :)  I'd like to make that a continuing goal for this next year, but with a baby due on May 7th, am seeing a serious conflict with planting season.  Hmmm...maybe this one will wait until we have our own place and no little one on the way!

Goal 7 - Work through my elementary curriculum
    *DONE!
 
Goal 8 - Level 1 Kodaly Certification
    *DONE!
 
Goal 9 - Finish a marathon
     *Didn't happen - but for a good reason (pregnancy!).  I have no regrets about not finishing this goal!

Goal 10 - $18,000 of student loans paid off, $4,000 in savings
     *DONE!

Goal 11 - Be more intentional with communication/interaction.
     *Big “Aha” moment related to this goal!  Ever since I entered “adult life” I’ve felt frustrated by a dramatic drop in my desire to be social.  I used to initiate group get-togethers, invite people to everything, and call for one-on-ones all the time!  What I’m realizing, though, is that the combination of marriage and teaching COMPLETELY fills my social capacity, and by the time a free second comes long, I’ve got very little left for anyone else. 
     This feels both good and frustrating at the same time.  Recently I’ve had a couple of days at home, and by the end of the 2nd day I was completely STIR CRAZY!  I’ve never texted so much in my life!  It feels good that I haven’t actually changed, and given more time and less people, I will probably fall right back into intentional communication/ interaction naturally.  However, it also feels frustrating because it feels like I’m losing a lot of time to build relationships.  Thankfully, I do feel like my job is also a mission field, and can spend my time loving the little ones that need love. 
     All that to say – I think I’ve realized my capacity for intentionality, and will have to continue being intentional until it comes naturally again. :)

Extra Goal: Read 24 Books
    *DONE!  I’m even ¾ the way through #25. :)

FINAL REFLECTION: I love what happened this year, but also see areas for improvement…. and really, what more could you ask for?!  

And with that, I’m declaring my 2011 goals all wrapped up!

2 comments:

Erika said...

You are a rockstar, woman! Seriously! I was thinking about goals last night and this post is my motivation to write them down and do them! :) Way to go, Nicole!!

Rachel Farley said...

I like these goals, a whole lot.

I am really inspired by the memorizing and reading through the bible. I may just have to join you.

Oh, and you are totally a rockstar like Erika said. love you