Sunday, January 01, 2012

2012 Goals

2012 Goals
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The first five are taken from David Platt's book "Radical", and are called "The Radical Experiment".  I'm doing these with 3 other girls in the Ames area, and feeling VERY blessed to have them in my life to challenge and spur me on!

1. Pray for the World
I'm using the book "Operation World" and Joshua Project's daily e-mails to do this...

2. Read through the Bible
Got the kindle version of the NLT chronological "in a year" bible...I think it's going to be awesome!
I'm finding 1 verse each day to focus on, and reflecting on how I can 1) Submit, 2) Steward, and 3) Serve as encouraged by that verse

3. Sacrifice your Money for a specific purpose
We're sacrificing to become debt-free, but are praying for how God would have us use our excess money after our debt is gone.  Not sure what this will look like yet...but I'm planning to read "Neither Poverty Nor Riches" to process/learn more.

4. Spend Time in Another Context
We had originally planned to go on a trip in August, and thought to make it a combined mission/debt-payoff trip.  With our little guy coming in May, we're not quite sure if that'll happen...but somehow we're going to be finding a way to spend time in a different, uncomfortable context where we can serve and grow at the same time.

5. Commit to a Multiplying Community
We are continually learning what it looks like to live in community in America.  I'm excited to watch these two sermon series to do some more processing/learning about how to live like this: Engage and Covenant Community

6. Memorize 1 verse a week.
I think I'll start reviewing the Navigator's "Topical Memory System", and then go from there.

7. Read 1 more book than last year (25)
I just bought six "baby books" yesterday, and have 3 Christian books on my list already.  And of course, that doesn't include the 9 books I've borrowed from people that need to get read!  Oh boy...

8. Run a 10K (with Chris!) in the fall
I mentioned this goal to Chris and HE VOLUNTEERED to run it with me!  I'm so pumped!  

9. Become debt-free!
Scheduled to happen some time in May - WAHOO!
 
10. Get back to pre-pregnancy weight
Hopefully by the end of the summer - but I'm pretty loose about the time frame on this one, as I have no idea how my body will have changed and what I'll be able to do with a little one!  But this will happen at least by the end of the year!

11. Save money to buy an SLR camera
Thought this would be good timing, as we'll likely be taking lots of fun baby pictures. :)

12. Be more intentional with communication/interaction
I really want to continue this goal from last year, and have it include my cell phone (those of you that know me well know what I'm talking about!), remembering and planning for birthdays/events ahead of time, and just generally keeping in touch with people in spite of work and having a new baby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning at church, we were challenged to think about what would make 2012 a really successful year - and to process that 2012 needs NOTHING other than Christ to be great.  I'm continually learning how to die to myself, and I think that includes goal-setting.  So I'm holding these goals with an open hand, and acknowledging that my only TRUE goal is to be more in love with my Lord at the end of this year than I am now. 

1 comment:

STEPHANIE. said...

good goals! I think I need to start reflecting and setting my goals for 2012! A BOy! YOur having a boy!!! I am so excited for you guys!

p.s. your halloween costume was awesome! Thad thought it was the greatest. :)