Friday, July 31, 2009

Settling

It's official...we're finally settling. Tonight when I got ready for bed, I felt like I had a routine. Our morning routine is pretty set. We're getting to know lots more names, we're both in our offices and getting (slowly for me, quick for Chris!) to work...and our house is starting to feel kind of homey. It feels SO good!

I've realized some things about myself during this transition. First, I'm less internally adventurous than I imagine myself to be. I LOVE having a cozy home, having certain comforts, having stable relationships and routines that I can count on day-to-day. Second, I think those "grounding" elements of life are what allow me to become adventurous! At first I felt a little frustrated with myself that I couldn't totally adapt to this new culture completely (we got a washer/dryer instead of going to a dhobi, I'm not totally sold on the clothes, I can't get used to not making eye contact with people I pass...), but as things get more and more solid at our new "home", I'm more and more able to embrace the cultural differences that surround us.

Tomorrow some friends and I are hiking (almost all the way) to the nearest "big" town: Dehra Dun. It's the place people go to do bigger shopping when they don't want to go all the way to Delhi. Most people are taking taxis (which, of course, would probably be much smarter!), but a few of us felt like hiking, so we're heading out at 6 AM. Good morning India!

We'll actually end up hiking to Rajpur, which is a village that has a leprosy colony in/near it. Apparently, they weave BEAUTIFUL rugs and fabrics, so I'm really excited to make this trip. When I first heard of the colony I felt some shock...leprosy still exists?! It's a really good reminder of all the things that we as Americans take for granted. Polio, leprosy, typhoid, rabies...things that we don't give a second thought to in the states are all very real threats here. (don't worry mom, we're being really careful!)

And after Rajpur we'll head in to Dehra Dun and hit some fun places. :) YAY!

My Shopping List:
- LOTS of rugs!
- LOTS of fabric (for curtains, shower curtain, table clothes, table runners...
makes the house cozy)
- 4-5 Lamps
- 3 Paper lanters (to cover the ugly hanging bulbs!)
- Curtain Rods
- Hangable shelving
- Baskets
- Shelf Liner (we'll see if this is actually available!)
- Wall Hangings/Art
- Mix 'n' Match Outfits
- 1 Sari
- Cleaning Supplies
- Scented Candles
- Air Freshener
- 2 Hot Water Bottles
- Needle/Thread
- Hammer/Nails
- Tape Measure
- Drain Plug
- Soap holders
- Space Heater
- Wireless Internet Service

It'll be interesting to see if we actually make it to our destination...I'll let you know how the day goes!

7 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

Can't wait to see it all!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole! I am loving your blog! Wow! What experiences! You are in my prayers and it sounds like you are happy! Keep on blogging!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a haul! You'll definitely be taking the taxi back!

Anonymous said...

so a shopper and a hiker, I'm exhausted with one or the other. I look forward to hearing all about the adventure and I completely understand your need for a grounded home - so you can embrace all the new stuff. Hugs and love - (btw - how do I change this anonymous identity - I don't have a goodle account and I'm not sure about the Name/URL)

pam said...

By the way - me - Pam - is anonymous just in case you are wondering. See my previous post.

STEPHANIE. said...

wow! so beautiful!...and so cool that you got to actually see them do it and walk away with the finished product! :) That is so special. I can't wait to see your place all put together and I am glad it is feeling like home for you, that is a good feeling! :) I really enjoy reading everything ,thanks for posting so much. :)

Maren said...

i'm interested to hear what you actually got on this list? or how much? boy... i used to make lists like this and then realize that finding 2 things on it in one day was an accomplishment. taking every day as it comes is only by grace from the Lord.