Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About Work

So, work has officially begun. I'm beginning to understand (or at least recognize) that there will definitely be a pull between my "kid side" wanting to trek all over the mountainside, and my "adult side" loving to teach (and of course, all the responsibilities that come with that!).

This week has been/is filled with meetings about the upcoming year. All are necessary and important, but unfortunately, the "all" takes up most of our time! My official teaching assignment is Elementary (K-5) General Music, Middle School Choir, and Piano Lessons. I feel totally fine about piano lessons and middle school choir, but general music makes me NERVOUS!

I think I've at least outlined the VERY basic focuses that I want to use throughout the year, so now I'm breaking it down into smaller units and activities. I KNOW it'll be fun when I get it, but I feel confused ALL THE TIME about what I'm doing! Thankfully, my office is now MUCH more manageable. I'd even say it's kind of cute. :)

On a "fun", "personal" note, the painter guy came today! I picked out paint colors, and by this time next week, 4 of our rooms will have colors. YAY! Definitely excited for a little pick-me-up in the house!

4 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

I love reading your blog! We need to chat- I miss you. I can't wait for you to get the kids and start teaching them- you really are going to do great. It's OK to not know what you are doing- heck think of me with starting my job last year :D I STILL don't know what I'm doing, but I love it and people say I'm good at it.

So darling, just be you.

Unknown said...

Hi Nicole and Chris.. I can't tell you how special it is to read your daily blog. I feel as if I am on a spiritual jouney with you each day. We have shared your writing with friends and Pam's family. YOu have quite a following. Nicole,I have no doubt that your general music teaching will allow your students to discover a passion and gifts they don't know exist. We aren't born knowing how to sing or even know how to play an instrument. That begins from general music experiences. For the younger ones, music is so critical to their language and reading development and their thinking patterns.So continue to think of yourself as planting many seeds which will boom in many different ways. I know you will do a great job. GIve that husband of yours a great big kiss from me. Take care Muriel

Sarah said...

This is so awesome, Nicole! I am SO excited for you:) I'm sure you are going to love it, and your students are going to love you! It's great to read about all your experiences and adventures so far. And I've worn a sari!! I own 2! They are so fun to wear, not so fun to put on...word of advice, find someone to help you because it's kind of complicated. Love you, and I pray adjusting continues to go well!

Bill Kinzie said...

Welcome to Woodstock from an antique music student from '55. (violin).
You're beginning an awesome adventure. Great that you have a husband to share it with. Will be reading your and other Woodstock teachers' blogs. Great way to stay up to date. Blessings

!