Sunday, July 05, 2009

Great sayings in life....

My cousin's wife posted 45 "life-sayings" on her blog that were written by a 90-year-old columnist...what wisdom! A couple of them really resonated with me as we're preparing for this huge life change, so I guess these are my reflections.

1. Over-prepare, then go with the flow.
We've been packed for the last couple of weeks, and today are doing a "mock/official" packing, where we'll write everything that's in each bag, and then weigh everything to make sure we won't exceed the weight limit when we add in our toiletries on the last night before we leave. And after that, we can't do anything but wait and go with the flow!

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
We've had LOTS of doubts, but many people have helped us take the next small step.

3. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful, or joyful.
The useful things are in our bags, the beautiful things are the relationships we'll continue to invest in when we're far away and the new ones we'll invest in when we get there, and joy comes from the Holy Spirit, who will never leave us.

4. Everything can change in the blink of an eye; but don't worry, God doesn't blink.
This just feels good to know.

5. Frame every "so called disaster" with the question, "In five years, will this matter?"
Perfect example...I crashed our car into our truck, 2 1/2 weeks before we moved to India. :)

6. Always choose life.
It was a really hard decision to decide to go...and then to CONTINUE to decide to go, even when things have been a little rough. But, the alternative would be to not go, and we really would regret that forever. So, I guess we're choosing to live!

7. Forgive everyone everything.
Chris and I have both needed to forgive each other many things as we've been getting ready to go. Good thing we love each other!

8. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
We're feeling like our house/truck not selling is still a pretty bad situation...but don't worry it will change!

9. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
Okay!

10. Believe in miracles.
I think we'll become much more aware of God' s presence/miracles during this next period of life!


My mother-in-law sent us the "official" place we'll be staying in Ireland next summer. Ahh...so excited!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I love those sayings. There sure is a lot of wisdom in them. Now - if we can only remember them when we need to. Hope your packing practice went well. Yvonne

Suzy said...

I think number five is my favorite...I'm going to start using that!

I'm so glad you found me on Amy's blog! I have really enjoyed reading yours and look forward to hearing all about your adventures in India!