Monday, August 29, 2011

Fun in "Music Land"...

Circle round, circle round, follow me to music town.  
Circle round, circle round, follow me today.
(the Kindergarten welcome song!) 

This summer was a big music summer!   I purposely didn't think about school AT ALL until my Kodaly class started, but I haven't stopped thinking ever since.  I learned a lot at my class, and have had SO much fun (sometimes a little too much fun?!) putting it into practice.  Here are some of the "new toys" that have found their way into the R-S music classroom this year.

A Jeopardy Board - can play "instrument jeopardy", "rhythm jeopardy", "melody jeopardy", "composer jeopardy

Rhythm packets.  Each packet has 16 "beat sheets" and a bunch of different rhythmic components that will allow the students to write compositions or known songs really easily.

Music Note BINGO!

Music note puzzles. :)

Domi'notes'...got it from a friend, I'm not this creative!

A different type of rhythm manipulative.

The first version of rhythm reading.  Instead of "ta, tee-tee", this is "long, quick-quick"

The beginning of my sub game - turkey poker!  Again, got from a friend...this is going to be a sweet game - like "Go Fish"

The up-close Turkey Poker card.

Some of the "Music Street" houses...really seems to be helping students understand the distance between pitches already!

Visual for rhythm and melody on "Starlight, Starbright", geared toward early 1st grade....also made individual syllabication packets for all the students and magnetic words/stars to work through together on the white board. :) 

Beat sheet - poster where I can easily add the rhythm element on top of the "heart beat".  


And, there you go!  I've been processing how much I should focus on schoolwork lately and will write more about that later, but for now I'm just feeling glad that at this much work is done!

3 comments:

Matt and Amy Farley said...

CRAZY AWESOME!! You are the best teacher ever. I'm gonna drop out of college and come join your class.

Rachel Farley said...

Good job Nicole!! Everything looks awesome!

I agree with Amy, I want to join your class and you are the best!

Be proud of yourself darling!

Unknown said...

Again - WHY CAN YOU NOT BE MY KIDS' MUSIC TEACHER!?!? WHAAAAAAA!