Monday, September 06, 2010

Book #20: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


A few weekends ago I was hanging out with Rachel and she gave me this book.  It's a really quick read, and while it's geared toward children (4th-5th grade), it was SO great to read.  Sombering, quick, impactful.  Apparently there's a movie out based on the novel too.  (Check out the movie trailer here.)

It's based on the story of Bruno, the 8-year-old son of a Nazi commandant.  At Hitler's orders, the family moves from their home in Berlin to a home right outside of Auschwitz.  The story follows Bruno's thoughts as he meets a boy on the "other side of the fence", becomes best friends with him, and slowly begins to uncover the secret about the "other people."  Will be reading this book to my future kids...

A picture from the movie...

*This weekend I felt so thankful for the gift of literacy.  We take it for granted here in America, but it's not a "right" or a "norm" in most countries, especially for women.  I forget that sometimes....

3 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

I am so glad you liked it! The movie is really well done and I actually would like to see it again. Maybe we should watch it together....

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I think you would like that book as well. I could hardly believe it was written for kids. There is no way I would have been impacted like I was now if I would have read it as a child.

Let's hang and talk soon. I miss you!!!

Cindy said...

I've seen the movie..it is a very good movie, very sad.

Anonymous said...

I want to see this movie. And/or read this book. I hope you still have it. Thanks for sharing it and spurring us on to take advantage of our literacy! love you...mama