Sunday, June 20, 2010

Delhi to Mussoorie...

It's time to start chronicling the summer events! The summer started a bit strangely - because of when Amy's flight came in, I ended up missing the final banquet and final staff meetings, which made the end of the year feel kind of anticlimactic. And so, I said good-bye to the kids and HELLO to summer without much in between!

And to start off the summer - I went to pick up my sister! Amy and I get to spend 5 whole weeks together, traveling around India and then meeting the Farley Family in Ireland...and I'm SO HAPPY. Since we're doing everything together, a lot of our pictures will be the same. If you're someone that reads both our blogs, I apologize. We'll try to write things from different perspectives. :)

Amy made it! It was so much fun to see her walk out...

This was my first "independent travel" experience in India since Chris had to stay and work/do the final school events. In all, I was pretty proud of myself! Here are a few trip highlights. :)

1. I couldn't fall asleep because I was so excited...so I went to bed at 1:30, and was up at 3:00 AM for the taxi pick-up.
2. Got to Delhi without any trouble...but when the train pulled into Delhi, I couldn't find my way out of the train station! I tried to walk confidently so as not to attract unwelcome solicitors, but it's hard to walk confidently when you don't know where you're going. :) Eventually I asked a nice man for directions, and made it out safely.
3. THEN, I couldn't find my taxi outside of the train station! The station is under constructin right now, so everything was physically in chaos. Plus, India just IS chaos. And when my taxi wasn't waiting outside with my name on it like I expected, things got a little crazy. I ended up calling the hotel and found out where he was, but not before picking my way through multiple construction sites and firmly telling at least 20 taxi drivers that I already have a taxi, thanks. I could just see them thinking, "Crazy blonde girl!"
4. On the way to the hotel a guy drove up on his motorcycle and started hitting on me through the window. It was a bit unpleasant, but I pulled out my teacher voice and told him that "he needed to go". And away he went!
5. Picked up Amy pretty late, then proceeded to dwindle our 3 hours of sleep into 1 with giggling and talking.
6. We got a bit "hustled" by baggage carriers when catching our train from Delhi to Dehradun. They wanted to charge us 400 - I talked them down to 100, and physically walked away (DETERMINED not to get the "skin tax") three times. YEAH! There was a moment that I thought he had brought us to the wrong platform because we wouldn't pay him so much money, but he didn't.
7. We got to the train station so early that we almost got on the wrong train. (the 5:50 train was still there...our train left at 6:50. Oops!)
8. We slept on the train, and woke up so confused that we almost got off the train at the Hardwar stop.

Don't worry mom and dad...we did good!

Some picture highlights...Amy and I staying up WAY too late. Goofy sisters!


Can you see how tired we really are?! Our eyes are barely staying open!


Reading on the long train ride.


Sleeping on the long train ride...

Not in the country for 24 hours, and already shopping. :P
Amy bought a saree at Umang's, and it's so cute!


It is SO much fun to have Amy here! In order to keep our parents from hyperventilating with worry, we'll be posting as much as possible. :) It's bad enough having one daughter halfway across the world. Having two is too much, huh daddy?!

No comments: