Sunday, May 02, 2010

We Be Ballin'!

Last weekend was FILLED with basketball. And, lots of other stuff. :) Here's the weekend in pictures....

FRIDAY
4:00 PM - Take a picture with all the girls in my office
*They don't have the tradition of "dressing up" on game days here...but we brought that to India last Friday! Aren't they all so cute?!


6:00 PM - Supper with all the teams

7:00 PM - Indian Music Concert
* I had to wear a saree...and the girls were CONVINCED they could put it on me better than I could. 30 minutes later, I'm dressed and ready to go. :) (note that I look more like a mummy than concert-ready!)


8:45 PM - Basketball Game #1
*Quick change from concert attire to game-wear, and we're ready to go.


Halftime - dance tradition with Mr. Luukkonen

Outcome: Friday's game was ROUGH. Indian basketball rules are very different than American rules...but we apparently missed the memo, because the girls were basically being body-checked the whole game. I had to send 6 different girls out into the hall because they were so upset...and I actually ended up yelling at the head of the P.E. department because I was so frustrated that the refs weren't calling anything. At the end of the game the girls were beaten, bruised, and exhausted...but they had handled themselves SO WELL, and I was so proud. :)

SATURDAY
10:30 AM - arrive at school for a day filled with basketball matches!
3:30 PM - second and final match of the tournament.
* Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day...I love these girls!

Supriti and Stutii watching from the side...

Samiha, Eriko, and Kethayun posing for the camera...

Team huddle...

Working hard during our second match...

Stutii watching the boy's game intently...

Ugyen, Samiha and Istuti cheering on the Woodstock boys...

Amber...

Kethayun...

Anjuri...

The whole team, lovin' life once our games were over!

5:00 PM - Awards ceremony


While we came in third (out of three...!), I was SO proud of how hard they worked. They barely knew how to dribble on the first day of practice, and they really held their own at this tournament. AND, they did it while juggling school, music, and an intensely scheduled life.

6:00 PM - The after-party
Afterwards....SLEEPOVER! Chris graciously allowed me to invite the girls over for a sleepover, where we made pizza and brownies, had girl-talk, and watched Coach Carter/The Devil Wears Prada. :) I felt like I was in junior high all over again (except this time around was much more fun!)




Good times had by all. :)

6 comments:

The Paine Family said...

Great photos!! It looks so fun I think I want to join the team, but I'd probably cry when it got rough. Good work coach!

Stuti Garg said...

AAWW~~~
This is one of my best memories EVER>>>
THANK YOU SOO MUCH MRS.FARLEY..
I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

>>>so shweet!!!
thank you so much for every thing...loved it all...
ahh...scratch that>>>
Manly Voice: Thanks Coach!

<3 Suppu

Anonymous said...

MRs. fArLey
yOU ROCK!!!
wHY do ya have to leave... That is so bad baddy bad...
Anyways even though you are leaving i just wanted you to know that you are the best B-ball coach i have ever ever in my entire life have met.... And i will miss you loads... Miss me too..
Tseki

Unknown said...

thank you for every thing mrs. farley...
we all enjoyed our practice time and of course the sleep over. it was amazing.
we will never forget the push ups you made us do only to make us look more MANLY!!! non of us will give up on that untill we are all perfect... always one more than the days before.
we all are really gonna miss you and will always be your team, we love ya...

kethayun

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.