Sunday, May 30, 2010

Oh, for the love of literacy...

"You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read." - Charles Jones

My mom told me this quote a long time ago and I've randomly thought about it ever since I first heard it. Is it true? I think that for much of our life it is or will be true. For most of us there will be a time when we live the same life year after year. As people are traveling more often, it seems like we could add "the places you see" to this quote. BUT - if you can't travel, books are the things that take you to the wide world beyond.

I LOVE books, and I attribute that mostly to my parents. Some of my favorite memories growing up are those of reading together at bedtime. All 64 of the Hardy Boys novels have been read aloud in the Stellmaker Home at one point or another over the years - and endless hours of cuddling happened as novel pages turned. I think because I felt so loved while we were reading, I now LOVE to read.

I feel like reading opens our minds to other worlds and exciting new possibilities. In the novel, our imaginations are encouraged and guided. In the non-fiction work, our boundaries increase and we gain exposure to people and events that we otherwise would never imagine or understand. In short, I LOVE to read!

And so, I have 3 thoughts.

1. I just found out that 48% of women in India are illiterate. Can you believe that?! I think this could be the #1 reason that such harsh gender inequalities still exist here.

2. I'm 100% committed to bedtime reading with my kids. :)

3. Thanks, mom and dad, for giving me this love!

___________________________________________________

**This is my latest brainstorm - I want to start up a "Culture" book club next year where we pick a region of the world and read a true-life story every month from that area. Especially as Christians (but also as citizens of an ever-increasing "flat world"), it is SO IMPORTANT that we get out of our comfort zone of comprehension, and push ourselves to understand how things REALLY ARE. America is abnormal, and we are, therefore, also abnormal. How can we ever hope to reach the people of this world if we understand NOTHING about them?

I'm thinking Tibet or China for the first focus. Anyone interested?! I've already got a pretty sweet list for both of them. :) I thought we could pick a central Iowa location (Ankeny?) for whoever wanted to meet, and then send the book list out to whoever else wanted to read along from afar. Maybe start a blog for people's reflections?! Really start to challenge ourselves and gain a broader world perspective...

8 comments:

MussoorieSteve said...

ummmmmmmmm false!! in 5 yearas I hope to have a glorious fu-man-chu mustache along with wicked cool mutton chops!!!!! MUTTON CHOPS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!:)

MussoorieSteve said...

p.s. I haven't read a book cover to cover since 12th grade English WHICH was 5 years ago, so again FALSE on your statement!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:) PARKOR PARKOR!!!!!!

Amy LaVonne said...

Coley... I will totally join your sweet little book club... It makes us sound kinda like grandmas or something! kinda cute :)

Rebekah said...

Book club??? I'm in!!!

Maria Lovin said...

That sounds awesome! Let me know if you get it going so I can join!

Lianne said...

Hey there chica! You should read the Read-Aloud Handbook - it will definitely re-affirm your commitment to read to your kids. So excited to see you guys - only a month and a half!

Lindsay said...

I would totally join your book club. :) Probably from afar most of the time.

I'm excited for you to return to the States - I hope we can get together and you can meet Eadie!

Unknown said...

Ooooh, me me! I have some good options on Afghanistan and other central Asian countries too.