Saturday, May 29, 2010

Book #8: Dream Giver

The Dream Giver
by Bruce Wilkinson

And, the last of the Hong Kong book club (can you tell that we sat in coffee shops every other day on this vacation?!) This book is SERIOUSLY awesome. Bruce Wilkinson considers himself a "dream coach", and works to help Christians find their "Big Dream". The first half of the book is told like Pilgrim's Progress. Basically, a man called Ordinary lives in the land of Comfort, and goes to his Normal Job, and watches his screen and goes to bed. (I'm not getting the names quite right, but you get the idea!). THEN, he has a dream, and realizes that everyone is born with a Big Dream. This Big Dream would take them out of the land of Comfort - and each dream is given by the Dream Giver.

Ordinary decides to follow his big dream, but is faces with many obstacles. Fear, Giants, the Border Patrol (turns out to be his family) - but he chooses to continue toward his Big Dream, and eventually discovers what he was MADE to do.

The second half, Bruce Wilkinson talks about the analogy and the difficulties we face in our life as we decide whether to pursue our dream or give it up for the sake of comfort. I read it right as God was challenging us to at least be willing to go where He asked, and it was EXTREMELY powerful. AND - I redefined my "Big Dream" - it was really exciting. :)

This book gets a BIG recommendation from me!

3 comments:

Angela Thayer said...

Nicole,
Thank you for all your sweet comments! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing what you are up to. I'm sure it has been challenging, yet amazing to be in India. I'd love to hang out with you when you get back! Have a great day!!

The Paine Family said...

Yay for books! You are inspiring me to read about sommething beyond the realm of tantrums and sleep patterns.(:

Cindy said...

I love that book!