Monday, May 24, 2010

full of feelings

i've been full of feelings lately....here's my babble.

i miss my webster city kids. my freshmen babies just graduated this last weekend, and I couldn't be there. sometimes i get so sad i can't do anything else but just sit and be sad. did i make a mistake leaving? no...but i still feel really sad.

i feel sad and confused about leaving here. it's been a wonderful experience, and a year where we've been stretched and grown and experienced intense EVERYTHING...and i love intensity.

i feel sad about leaving the family we've made over here and the students i love so much.

i feel so excited about coming home. i can't wait to be with family and friends, to rekindle relationships that have had to take a back-burner this year.

i feel so scared about coming home. i'm different now - how will i fit in? will people understand us? will people want to understand us? where's our niche now? how will what we've learned change the way we live?

i feel scared about the future. i know GOD is challenging us in new and exciting ways, but sometimes that scares the crap out of me. i never wanted to become stagnant or complacent in my faith...but until this year that meant going to a women's retreat for a weekend or listening to a challenging sermon in the car on the way to work. this year, though, i've met a different GOD, and this God is big and demanding - all-loving and wonderfully compassionate - and frankly a bit scary.

i feel sick...physically sick - for almost five days now, and i'm sick of being sick. :)

i feel sad about the things we've missed being away this year. i know the experience has been worth it, but i'm still feeling the loss.

i feel inadequate for my job next year. i took an elementary music job because i desperately want experience in all areas of music, and this is a great job that got offered to me in my home town. no morning commitments, no night commitments - we might actually get to have a life outside of my job for once! but, i'm not passionate about elementary (yet). i'm not skilled in elementary (yet). and, i thought i was done feeling inadequate and unequipped! after all, i already had my first year of teaching...doesn't that mean you're done with the stretching?! :)

i feel worried about the future. chris doesn't have a job yet, we're moving in with my parents (which doesn't worry me, it just isn't a long-term plan), we have no cars and no money. hmm...

i feel so excited for my sister to be here. :) i feel excited to share this part of my life with her, to process with her and see how she reacts to things that i haven't been able to figure out how i'm reacting to. i feel excited to have someone that i know so well be in this crazy, strange, exotic place.

i feel confused about india. how can a place that is so rich with culture and history and tradition be filled with such pain and suffering? how can human lives be so driven by basic need? how can so many people be concerned with mere survival? and, now that i've seen it, what does that mean for my life?

i feel stuck. all these feelings are feelings that won't change for a while. we get home exactly 2 months from today. and, while those two months will be filled with great things, they aren't things that will change these feelings. i won't have started my new job, i won't be home yet, i won't get to hug my webster city kids, i won't know what the future holds for us. and unfortunately, patience is not one of the feelings i'm having in abundance.

i feel like i'm not myself. i've always loved the "different" and "exciting" and "abnormal", but lately i find myself longing for the familiar and comfortable. there are days when i'm not even looking forward to our summer travel plans because it means not being home longer.

thanks - i'm an external processor, and it helps to babble.

9 comments:

The Paine Family said...

I love you and your feelings! Let me know when you're free to skype

MussoorieSteve said...

thank goodness you're not gassy!! that is one common feeling in India, and to have all those and not gas, is quite frankly A-MAZING!!!:)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing Nicole! I'll pray for the 'peace that surpasses understanding' and for His grace to smooth out the bumps of change....I'm excited for you guys!

Joanna Kay said...

I love how this is such a rambling of emotions that no one can fully understand but yourself. I remember having these ramblings while I was in Japan... haven't had any in the same way since then. I remember I did a lot of abstract thinking/processing when I was there because a lot of my thoughts/feelings were that way.
I'll be praying for you and Chris in the upcoming months.

Amy LaVonne said...

I LOVE YOU!!! Call whenever if you need to talk, even the middle of the night. I need to get used to being up at that time anyways for this
summer! But basically... I LOVE YOU!

Bill Kinzie said...

I truly believe the Lord has plans for His children. You have had an incredible adventure with an amazing stew of people in a beautiful remote area of God's earth. You have been indelibly stamped...the experience has given you the "third eye" to see the world differently from those who remain in their comfortable communities. And it will be difficult to convey that experience to others..just like it's hard for men to understand childbirth!!
Blessings!

Unknown said...

you areinvited to follow my blog

Unknown said...

Hey, I love you too! And I love Mussoorie Steve's comment, LOL. As you know in our family, you don't have to be in India to experience gas . . . just hang out with my husband awhile. I can't wait to see you and can't wait for you to be home, but I've been praying for you alot lately because I think somehow I knew this would be quite a transition for you. We will be very happy to welcome you back - you'll always belong with us! And I can't wait to introduce you to my brother and his wife and their little guy. If there are two people who will understand exactly where you're coming from, it's them!

Amanda Seibert said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts. i can definitely relate to many of them. praying for you and will be interested to follow your blog through all this transition!