Monday, March 22, 2010

Life Lately

Life has been extremely chaotic lately, but in the chaos I'm finding a beautiful "order". Since our decision has been made, I've been really focusing on how I want life to look different when we go back. There are MANY changes that I'm hoping to make, but while I'm only processing most of them, I'm actively pursuing the 2010 goals that I set up at the beginning of the year! It's taken me a while to really get going, but I've given myself lots of grace, kept trying, and I'm starting to "get it!"

I've always had the tendency to wish I was different than I am, and therefore try to fit myself into some "ideal mold". The result was an inevitable discouragement when I failed miserably. SO, I'm adapting. Instead of squashing myself into a mold of routines and expectations, I'm learning to become creative in the way that I reach my goals. The goals don't change...but the way I reach them is drastically different! Here's what's working for me...

1. Working out 5 days a week. I've NEVER been able to get up in the mornings to work out, but I've learned that if I don't do it in the mornings, it usually won't happen. So, I've found a routine that works for me.
- Shower/Dry Hair/pack clothes and makeup for the next day the night before.
- Plan for a 45-minute workout in the mornings (I've discovered that I like riding a bike!)
- Decide whether or not I'm going to get up the next morning THE NIGHT BEFORE...and then the decision is made! I don't have an option in the morning, because I've already decided!

Right now I've been working out 2-3 mornings a week, and then am also working out with my girls during basketball practice. It feels really great!

2. Building in "me" time. I've completely set aside Sundays as "no-work" days. Even if I don't get what I need to get done on Saturday, I am not allowed to work on Sundays. It's a beautiful feeling to have that time protected...and it's scriptural to have a full day of rest. :) I can still do stuff around the house, but it's primarily a me/other people focused day.

3. Reading/Quiet Times. As I've gotten in the habit of showering/getting things ready the night before, I've had a much more structured evening, and have also built my quiet time into the nights. This is a hard habit to continue during the weekends, but it's been working during the weeks, and I get a quiet time/reading time in most weekdays!

4. Music Practice. Same thing. I try to spend at least 10-15 minutes on guitar every night, either reinforcing a new chord or working out a song that I really want to know. It's not much, but it's working!

The thing that I'm most excited about is that my job next year will NOT come with evening/morning commitments, so hopefully I'll be able to continue these habits!

**NOTE: I've been processing ways to keep life simple, and would love to hear how you all have simplified life in America. More to come on my ponderings later, but send 'em this way!

_____________________________________

Just wanted to say...I have two BEAUTIFUL new babies in my life that I haven't even met yet! Thomas Benjamin Farley, and Annette Marie Paine. I can't WAIT to meet them! Definitely gettin' the baby bug over here in India. :) (that's about the best kind of bug you can get, huh?!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Nicole,
Loved that post! I love goals :) I also love routine. I have found so much freedom in increasing my structure. And I find that Micah flourishes with extreme routine. I just wanted to tell you that I think about you so much Nicole, my memory of you always encourages me to be more encouraging, more joyful, and more...smiley. :)

MussoorieSteve said...

I know one way you can simplify your life in America when you get back....NOT GO BACK!!!! Stay in India!!! Buuuut on the realistic side, steal a monkey from India, sneak it into the country and make it your monkey butler!! On the Simpsons Homer had a monkey butler and he got like TWICE the beer and TV time with it than normal!! THAT'S 100% INCREASE MY FRIEND!!!!!

STEPHANIE. said...

I love goals too! Way to go girl!...very refreshing to read today. :0)

Rachel Farley said...

I like you :)

Anonymous said...

You are quite a gal! GREAT goals. The funny thing is that I did practically the same epiphany Monday morning. It's inversely exponential...the less complicated, the more the enjoyment. Isn't God good to show us that? I love you! Mom S.