Sunday, September 06, 2009

Ah, inexperience...thou art a worthy opponent!

So, I've just been kind of all over the place these last couple of weeks. I've been failing at my consistent blogging goals, but this is definitely a good one. :) Get ready!

This weekend I bit off more than I could chew. We thought, "Hey! Let's go on a BIG hike! Oh, and let's have a campout! So I guess that means we'll be hiking a really long way with a really heavy pack! GREAT IDEA!" I'm learning that the best adventures happen when you say yes to things you don't understand. Hmmm...

The weekend plans started with 6 of us planning a 2-day trip to Nag Tibba. Friday, 2 people drop out. Saturday morning, one more drops out. We're down to 50%. Should that tell us something?! So, it ended up just being Matt, Steve, and myself. I didn't bring the camera because I was trying to bring as few things as possible...maybe I'll get some from them and post them later. Can I just note: Matt has done multiple triathalons, and Steve has run 5 marathons. How did I get myself into this group?!

We hiked down to Thatyur (which is a WONDERFUL hike!), but I wore my new hiking boots. For the FIRST time! Seriously dumb. By the time we got down to Thatyur I could barely walk. Oh well, let's keep going! That's when the uphill started. And, that's when I started to DIE. The combination of VERY blistered feet and 30+ pounds on my back definitely changed my hiking experience. We made it about two 1/2 hours out of Thatyur and I couldn't go any more. I'm so sorry fellow-hikers! I wussed out. They were great about it, and we ended up having a great time. It was about 4:00 when we set up camp, and we just spent the night hanging with the locals, trying (quite successfully I might add!) to build a fire, laughing at some quite ridiculous moments. :) My favorite two moments were: 1) I ended up taking off my shoes and hobbling down the mountain back to where we camped. If you haven't been on a trail in India, you can't possibly imagine the amount of animal feces, but my socks don't smell so good anymore! And 2) I got charged by a bull. Almost got run off a bridge...he had horns.

It was a BEAUTIFUL night, and my hankering to go camping was filled. Seriously, couldn't have been more beautiful. Then we got up, headed back down to Thatyur (I made it!), and Matt and I opted for the taxi back.

Other fun moment: this was the first time we took the "local" taxi ride. The jeep didn't have any doors, the horn was honked by touching two wires together, and we had some fun jeep riding partners. Good times!

I have HUGS blisters, and bruises on my shoulders, hips, and ankles. But in all, it was a seriously GREAT weekend!

2 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

I want to get charged by a bull and definitely want a real local taxi ride.

I am glad that you had a great weekend despite the change of plans. I am glad you have good friends.

I'm proud of you and loved this post.

I was traveling from 10-7 today, with stops in between- even a baby shower- and I'm beat. I was so ready to be home and fall on my couch with my pillow. Then I thought about the trek to India and I got really really bummed about how I'm going to have to be on a plane forever. But, then I read your blog and remembered how worth it it's going to be!! :)

So, I hate the fact that it's going to be an awful trip over there but know it's going to be worth it.

To bad my comment was a blogpost in itself. Love you.

Unknown said...

Oh Nicole, I love how you embrace a challenge. Next time take some moleskin with you to cushion your blisters and with your go-for-it attitude you'll be just fine. What does Chris do without you while you're gone?