Wednesday, September 16, 2009

OH, India...

Today I had a couple of moments that I thought...."WOW, I'm definitely in India!"

1. As some of you readers may know, much of the world pronounces their "w's" as "v" and their "v's" as "w". Today an Indian co-worker said "we vowed...", except it came out as "we woved". I giggled for 15 minutes!

2. I was walking to school, and passed two men on the road. We said our "namaste's", and as I passed one of them "tooted" quite obviously. Nothing like saying hello from various orifices! (and there was no laughing...I don't think it was intentional!)

This last one isn't necessarily Indian, but it is necessarily ELEMENTARIAN!

3. One of my VERY cute kids has a tendency to be negative in his words...he started calling the guy in front of him "trashcan" (which, in itself, is kind of hilarious!). I asked him to stay behind to talk with me, and when I asked his side of the story, he looked around for a while (obviously coming up with his story), and said "I didn't call him a trashcan...I said, 'You're sweet!'" Oh, the stories kids come up with.

6 comments:

Amy LaVonne said...

I LIKE IT!!!

Rachel Farley said...

hahaha

The last story is awesome! How did it end?!

Bill Kinzie said...

Three kinds of English spoken jn India (a) American (b) English (c) Babu Sorta like the lilt of Babu English, believe that was what your acquaintance was speaking. Cheers!

STEPHANIE. said...

hehe :) that just made me smile. I needed that today.

Yvonne Farley said...

ALl funny stories!

Unknown said...

Yes, I think it's a kid thing - the 3rd one that is. When Clay gets in trouble, he looks around and says, "It wasn't me. It was kitty!"