Thursday, April 19, 2012

Baby Blanket Bonanza!

There's a part of me that thinks I could really get into sewing (although I realize it's probably the wishful, delusional part!).  Maybe when I have fewer urgent things in my life?  Anyway, a couple of months ago I learned that sewing with your mom and sister is definitely a blast....especially when you're making adorable baby bedding for your first baby boy!

This was SUCH a process.  Amy found this pattern on pinterest, and I immediately fell in love with it.   Amy decided to be a studly sister and met me in Des Moines to help pick out the fabric...and 6 fabric stores later, we had what we needed!  I actually had a moment of panic as I looked at all the crazy fabrics right next to each other - "Will this look ridiculous?!"  I shouldn't have worried, 'cause it turned out AWESOME!

Start with a pattern...
And add some fun fabrics...

Start piecing together!

Starting to see what it will look like....

Pretty mama sewing the strips...

Pretty sister making a fitted sheet!

"Elasticizing" the fitted sheet...

And bring on the backing!

I can't tell if she's happy or exhausted?!

Fitted sheet looks good to me!

Chris trying out the new camera lense...

The finished product!
While there are still a few finishing touches that need to be put on the nursery, this was definitely the first step to getting it all decorated and feeling baby-ready!  And I personally like ours way better than the original.  :)  Thanks mom and Amy, you guys are the best!

4 comments:

Matt and Amy Farley said...

The bumpers are on their way... I hopefully will have them done soon...maybe even this weekend. We'll see what happens. LOVE YOU!

Angela said...

It looks great!! :)

The Paine Family said...

LOVE this- how cute!! Can I sleep here when I come, in a few days?!? Can't wait to see you!!!

Joanna Kay said...

I remember those precious days of trying to imagine a little babe in the crib with the blankets and sheets. You did such an awesome job Nic + family! Can't wait for the little man to be there enjoying them and christening them with his burp-up! ;)