Thursday, August 06, 2009

The First Week...

of school is almost over, and WOW. I still feel like I don't have any idea what a typical day will be like...it seems like the motto here is "pile more "stuff" on people until they break down, and then we've got it just right!" I've had a tendency to do that my entire life, though, so I guess I'll fit right in!

This week has been interesting. Chris is in full swing and already knocking out projects left and right...you can see his handiwork on the Woodstock Website already! I had piano auditions Monday and Tuesday, and then have had classes the rest of the week. We don't start lessons until next week so my schedule has been extremely open, but I've DEFINITELY needed the time to get ready for classes.

#1: I have SO much respect for elementary teachers now. I've got 3 elementary general music classes...1, 2, and 3 GM (all together), 4 GM, and 5 GM. Yesterday I had 1, 2, and 3 GM, and then 4 GM...cried after the first one, LOVED the second one. I feel like a new teacher all over again!

#2: I had just gotten high-schoolers figured out. They don't like when you do something, you either say "Tough, it's good for you", or "Tell me your thoughts, maybe I'm being unfair." Little kids: no idea. What're their crazy little brains thinking? What keeps them entertained? How do they learn? How do I maintain order while still letting kids be kids? How in the WORLD did I get myself into this mess!?

I've had some great talks with other music staff though, and am feeling very supported and encouraged. And, I'm slowly figuring out what an elementary general music class period looks like. I do feel like I somehow skipped over that whole class in college though...hmmm.

On a brighter note, we now have some REALLY FUN Indian clothes! I'll take some pictures soon, but this last weekend I got three pre-made salwar/kameez suits (baggy clown pants and a long shirt...from fabIndia!), and fabric to make three more suits (currently at the tailor's getting made). Chris got 2 pre-made kurtas (also from fabIndia), two pairs of pants (pajama pants) made, and a formal kurta/pajama set made.

AND THEN, the tailor made a SWEET delivery to our house tonight! He brought two pairs of pants for Chris (we had him copy Chris' favorite pants...he did a GREAT job), 6 big brown curtains for the kitchen, some table runners, a kurta for me, and my two sari's I've ordered! I tried figuring out how to wear them from the internet. We'll just say I may need some help in this department. :) But the best part...all this was made for around $20 (US dollars). We had to buy the fabric separately, but still...unbelievable!

Sorry no pictures, but I'm finding it hard to remember to take pictures of "normal" life, now that we're settling into a routine. I'll work on it. :)

Oh, and it's POURING out right now. I love rain!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Need some advice on elementary school kids . . . ask us small groupies! Between us we've got about a dozen in elementary school it seems like. Although we couldn't account for cultural differences, so maybe we'd not be much help!

Anonymous said...

Hi - wow - daily life can be so challenging. I know you're going to figure this out and have a lot a fun soon. I can't wait to see you in your Indian clothes. Love, Yvonne

Unknown said...

I am glad for you two that there is starting a routine. Then you can really start to settle in a bit more. love yo guys!

Kelli B said...

When we went to our friends house (they are Nepali) they let Meredith and I try on their saris. They were so intricate!! I had no idea they were so tough to get "just right."

Good luck as you learn, you will catch on.

Cant wait to see you in photos! :)