Saturday, October 27, 2012

What Happens to Our Laundry When We Die?


 Since Will has been born I've been really surprised at how little time I have to get things done.  The first month I didn't want to lay him down while he was sleeping, so I blame that month on myself.  Now though?  Where does the time go?  When will I start getting everything done again?!  (moms: cue laughter!)

Obviously that last question is a big joke.  I've been caught up in the "rat race" mindset lately, where I get to the end of a day and realize that I've just spent the whole day rushing rushing rushing to get...wait, what did I get done?  I obviously get things done, but many of the things that happen in my day have little or no eternal value.  I mean, let's be honest.  It's nice to have a clean house and good smelling laundry, but I'm pretty sure my perfectly ironed pants will not be accompanying me when I approach those pearly white gates!

After my grandma died I remember finding a journal that she had kept of what she did each day.  Her days were FILLED with "un-eternal" things - laundry, cleaning, food preparation, gardening.  What's so interesting, though, is that grandma impacted so many lives in the midst of her "unimportant" tasks.  Stuck between two loads of laundry and making lunch for grandpa, she'd "visit with Verla" or "take supper over to Sam" or "call Brad" or "send a birthday card to Tommy".  She didn't let the to-do list sitting right in front of her distract her from people. 

My biggest fear is that I'll get to the end of my life and wonder if it was well-lived.  God is working on that fear (1 John 4:18 - ...perfect love drives out fear...), and I think He's doing that through this time in life.  Because the most pressing items on my to do list is to snuggle my baby and make supper, I am able to focus on people more.  I'm obviously still working through this, but it's a start!

No comments: