Friday, October 19, 2012

Just a little push...

I'm definitely a seasonal person. I absolutely NEED a change of pace, an ebb and flow, an altering of "normal".  Being a music teacher,therefore, is perfect for me.  We have concert seasons, show choir seasons, semester, quarters, grading madness, and the best of all - summer!

I'm naming my last personal season "Blog? What Blog?".  The onset of this "season" happened for a variety of reasons...Will was born, summer happened, I entered a new stage of life, and we got a new camera/new phones/new computer storage so our picture systems were totally messed up.  I also would blog about events in the past, but big events are less possible with small kids.  Hmm....the universe was conspiring against this blog!

I ran into my friend Rachel Greene today at the grocery store (hollah Rachel!), and she said something about my blog absence.  And, that's all it took!  I spent the drive home thinking of million posts I could write.  New format?  Everyday life.

Every Day Life: Aldi

In honor of Rachel's nudge back into the blogging world, I thought I'd write about a place that I often frequent (and where we ran into each other): Aldi.  I SERIOUSLY love Aldi.  We've been going there since we were dirt-poor during my second grade year.  We were always really low on moola throughout my childhood, but when my dad decided to go back to grad school, cash flow dropped to an all-time low.  Enter Aldi (and food stamps, but we'll save that for another post).

Since we just grew up going there, I never had the hesitation that a lot of my friends feel.  Admittedly, some Aldi stores can be a bit sketchy.  But it is SO CHEAP!  I got a full cart load of predominantly fresh produce today, and the grand total?  $84.  Would have been pushing $140 at Fareway or Hy-Vee, EASILY.

And so, Aldi has become a part of my bi-weekly life.  Every other Friday Will and I head off to cheap, nameless brand, park-your-own-cart and bag-your-own-food world of Aldi.  We've kind of gotten it down to a science.  And anything we can't get there, Chris picks up on his way home from Hy-Vee that night!

I'm not saying anyone should change their mind about Aldi.  If it feels too sketchy and you don't like to pay a quarter for your cart, that's just fine.  Me?  I'm an Aldi girl all the way. :)

3 comments:

The Paine Family said...

Yay, glad to see you back in action (: Wish we had an Aldi here, sounds awesome! Give your little man a kiss from me. It was so good to "see" you the other day!

Erik and Laura Ouimette said...

Aldi is a great store! Welcome back!

Angela Thayer said...

Yay for blogging again! We shop at Aldis and love it! We save so much money!!! And I'm so happy you contacted Loren about doing pics...he's really great! Take care!