Tuesday, March 13, 2012

FOR CHRISTINE - Pregnancy Update :)

8 Weeks...
18 Weeks...
20 Weeks/"Reveal" Date...
23 Weeks
26 Weeks...

28 Weeks...
31 Weeks...(and a little blurry!)
32 Weeks....this morning!

One more 32 weeks. :)
 
Okay Cousin Christine, this one's for you!  Official pregnancy update!

I feel GREAT!  It's really fun to look back and realize how fast this time has gone.  I remember being at 8 weeks and thinking my body had changed so much...and then thinking the same thing at 18 weeks and every other milestone since then!  Here are the big milestones I think of as I look back on this pregnancy.

Week 6-9 - Morning Sickness and extreme exhaustion.  Only 3 weeks, pretty great!
Week 16 - Felt the first movement!
Week 20 - Found out it was a BOY!
Week 23 - BIG growth spurt, definitely started to feel like a pregnant lady :)
Week 28-32 - Another BIG growth spurt, am finding myself fully immersed in the 3rd trimester
Week 30 - Started seriously nesting and realizing that life is going to COMPLETELY change!

I have a strange personality characteristics that often prevents me from understanding the "consequences" or "end result" of my actions.  (does that make me similar to a child?!)  Because of that, change usually doesn't feel scary to me...that is, until I find myself in the midst of it and haven't processed ANYTHING that's happening!  Getting married didn't feel scary, and then I find myself crying as we drive away from the wedding because I miss my family!  India didn't feel scary, and then I dealt with 3 years of pretty intense culture shock while we were there and afterwards.  Getting pregnant didn't feel scary, and lately I've realized that "oh wow, God has given us a SOUL to care for in this lifetime!"  Big stuff, but I never really understand it until I'm already committed. :)  I think I actually prefer it that way...it lets you be fully immersed in the experience you're in!

On the physical side of pregnancy, I've gained about 24 pounds.  That's more than I had expected at this point, but I feel really healthy and the doctor says that's a good amount for me to have gained.  My blood flow is officially 50% higher than when I started the pregnancy, which feels CRAZY to me!  I can tell my ligaments are loosening, as I've had some back pain, and my balance is definitely off...although, I think it's always been off, so not much transition there!  I've had some occasional heartburn, and am starting to have moments where I'm really uncomfortable, but that usually only lasts for 30 minutes or so and then I can get back in the swing of things.  I've been sleeping really good (sometimes still all the way through the night!), and am feeling UNBELIEVABLY blessed through all this!

We have gotten all of our fun classes out of the way - breastfeeding, parenting, childbirth, and we're feeling pretty ready for this!  I'm reading a few books (breastfeeding, what to expect over the first few months), talking to lots of people about their experiences, and meeting with our doula this week to talk through a birth plan and expectations/dreams.  And obviously from my last post, we're working on the baby room!  We've had one shower so far, and have 2 more scheduled for the weekend of March 31st...and after that we can figure out what else we need and get this baby all prepped and ready to come!   Holy buckets...

Chris and I had a huge planning session last night about our future - crunched numbers, talked about financial goals, long-term plans, etc.  Some (what felt like) huge decisions were made, so I'm kind of reeling this morning...but I'm really looking forward to going this new time in life. :) 

Ultimately though, I feel like I understand God differently through this.  My heart has changed SO MUCH over the last 32 weeks, and I can hardly wait to meet this stinker.  I'm learning what it means to sacrifice for and care about someone else above yourself...in a different way than in marriage.  I know I'll learn that lesson over and over in the coming months and years, and am so excited to grow and change and commune with our sacrificial Lord in new and different ways than I would ever be able to if I wasn't becoming a parent. 

And last, it's been really interesting/neat to see how God has added and molded this experience to our India experience.   India made me a minimalist - seeing families of 5 (including an infant!) ride around mountain curves on a moped really challenges your concept of "need".  I was NOT looking forward to all the stuff that comes with kids...but God has brought me to a beautiful place of acceptance and excitement.  I will continue fighting the temptation to value material possessions, but am also letting myself feel blessed by the gifts of others and enjoy providing for my baby.  Still processing, but it feels like a much healthier place to be than where I was.

I still have fears - change doesn't scare me, but lack of change terrifies me.  More to come on that later I guess...but for now, it's time to start Day 4 of Spring Break! 

7 comments:

The Paine Family said...

YAY!!!! Thank you so much for the beautiful post. I loved seeing your adorable belly, but even more hearing about what is going on inside of you during this process. You are going to be one fun, amazing, adventurous, moving n shaking mama!! I'm glad you are surrounded by so much support and love there in Iowa. We are hoping to come over Memorial Day for the family get together, but also want to find another time to visit during our roadtrip. When is you due date? Of course we want to meet Mr. Handsome, but also don't want to overwhelm you with our presence. Thanks SO much for the photos!! xoxo

Rachel Farley said...

This was so fun to read! I am so glad that you posted it! You're stunning, and you are going to be an amazing mommy! I can't wait to meet my newest little nephew, and snuggle him lots!

You're going to be an absolutely amazing mommy, and little Mr. is very lucky!! Love to all three of you!

Joanna Kay said...

You look amazing dear friend. I am so excited for you in this time and all that God is teaching you and will teach you through childbirth and raising your baby.
I am always a phone call away if you ever need anything (though I am so thankful you have your family and other friends close). Be blessed and encouraged.
With love!

Matt and Amy Farley said...

You are incredible and I love you. Can't wait for __?__ to show his presence in this world.

Also... forgot to post on your last blog...but the organized drawers are glorious. :)

nan onkka said...

AH!!!!!!! You are SO pregnant! I'm ridiculously excited for you guys! Much love from the hillside to you, Chris, and the little stinker :)

Erika said...

How have I not commented on this yet!?!? You are ADORABLE!!! Love love love this post...can't believe our due dates are getting close!!

STEPHANIE. said...

Wow Colie! YOu are adorable. :)