Sunday, March 06, 2011

Kansas Trip

I just transferred pictures from our SD card to my camera, and realized how many posts I've been missing out on!  So without further ado - here's our January trip to Kansas!

Cookie and Dave are friends of Chris' aunt and uncle who happened to be going to Woodstock at the same time as us.  They had been there before, so we met up with them before we even went and had pre-Woodstock friends...it was WONDERFUL, and we loved them from the second we met them at the Boondocks truck stop. :)  They had been planning to stay for 5+ years when Cookie was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and they ended up coming home early fall of this last year.  This was the first time we got to see them since they've been back, and it was SO great.  

Steve (our good friend from India) drove down from Minnesota on Friday and picked us up after work.  It's about a 6 1/2 - 7 hour drive, so we left right away and got in around 1:00 AM.  I've inherited the overwhelming persuasion to sleep in any moving vehicle from my dad, so I slept the whole way while the boys drove - thanks guys!

They were waiting for us when we got there...of course we talked for an hour or so, then sleepily went to bed.  We had randomly picked to visit them on their "butchering" weekend, so the next morning we jumped right in.  Every year they connected with 5 other families in their church and butchered 3 hogs to split among them.  And here's what it looked like!









It was SO fun!  I thought I'd be really grossed out, but I actually loved getting down and dirty, and involved in grass roots, REAL food production.  I'm a farm girl in exile I think...I even love the smell of pigs!  I told Chris that we HAVE to live in the country wherever we go next...

After the butchering we had a big pot luck in the farm house, then proceeded to wash dishes for approximately 3 hours. 

At this point in the weekend I stopped taking pictures and just enjoyed it all.  We visited some thrift stores in Newton, and then had a GREAT meal with Chris' aunt/uncle/cousin.  And to top it all off, we of course ended the night with a game of Settlers. :)


SO much fun with people we love dearly. 

3 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

I like this one.

I want to live in the country more and more :)

Love you sister!

Erika said...

This is so cool! :) I need to put this on my list of things to do!! Have you ever milked a cow? It's uber fun!! So glad you had a great weekend with friends! :)

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog