Wednesday, March 30, 2011

An habitual contempt of meanness...

Check out this quote.

"It should be your care, therefore, and mine, to elevate the minds of our children and exalt their courage; to accelerate and animate their industry and activity; to excite in them an habitual contempt of meanness, abhorrence of injustice and inhumanity, and an ambition to excel in every capacity, faculty, and virtue. If we suffer their minds to grovel and creep in infancy, they will grovel all their lives." --John Adams, Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law, 1756

We definitely don't talk like this anymore.  We don't even think like this!  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what he's saying, but I know it's good stuff.  I also know that we don't have much of it in our country anymore!

I've had a couple of conversations about the state of our education in the U.S. lately, mostly spurred on by questions raised in "Waiting For Superman".  Even in Iowa, there are moments when I feel shocked at how little kids know/can do.  And to be honest, we have AWESOME teachers at my schools.  I can only imagine places like New York NY, Austin TX, Washington D.C.  So how have we missed the boat so badly?   


Anyone?  


Off to watch "Waiting for Superman"...

1 comment:

Amanda Seibert said...

i just watched waiting for superman last weekend and am now feeling inspired to be a fabulous teacher. :-)