Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Hosted: Check!

We had an AWESOME 4-day weekend.  Although I was sad to see it end on Sunday night, it was sufficiently long, restful and family-filled...we LOVED it! 

A while ago we realized that this Thanksgiving was going to be different.  Traditions have been morphing a bit on both sides of the family, and we were very excited to realize that this was going to be our first Thanksgiving celebration in Iowa with our own family (not the extended).  YAY! 

As we were planning the menu in my mom's kitchen (note: they're still building their house, so this planning happened in the unfinished basement where they're living), we realized that they don't have a dishwasher.  Hmmm...for Thanksgiving?  No thanks!  Therefore, I offered to host...in a house that we hadn't yet moved into...without a dining room table.  Yeah, good idea!

It turned out to be the perfect motivator, and in a very busy and short 3 weeks, Chris and I were able to get most of our boxes unpacked, the house settled, and the living room/dining room area painted.  It was really exhausting, but it's DONE! 

All that to say, we had an AWESOME Thanksgiving.  The menu included...

1. Turkey (my first one - aided by mom of course! - and it turned out quite wonderfully!)


2. Apple, Bacon, and Sage Stuffing


3. Green Bean Casserole
 
4. Corn Casserole


5. Mashed Potatoes


6. Cranberries

7. Apple Pie


8. Butternut Squash Pie


Everything was made from scratch, and everything ended up tasting wonderfully.  After we set the table, we all said it felt like we were in a Norman Rockwell picture. :)


(notice the cell phone in mom's hand - we're talking to Matthew in Chile right now!  
Amy was there too, she's just taking the picture.)


And the best part - Chris "carved the turkey"!  It was pretty fun...he got really into it, and almost forgot to eat!


In the end, we were all really tired.


It was a LOVELY day, and I felt very thankful to be with a family that I love so much. :)

5 comments:

Amy LaVonne said...

I really like this blog! It's like a little story! Good job sis... And have I told you lately that you are the best sister EVER!!!!!!! I really love you! ;)

The Paine Family said...

Those pies look soo amazing! I am very impressed. . . and hungry now!

Erika said...

LOVE this!!!! The food looks delicious and I commend you for hosting Thanksgiving!! Oh, and I wanted you to know that I loved your blog post about living in America and "How Now Shall We Live?"...I ate up every word and it encompassed thoughts I've had about our country...I love your posts and especially your deep thought ones :)

Nichole said...

Hi Nicole, you probably don't know me...as I don't know you but your sister Amy, was my counselor a few years ago at Hidden Acres camp.
I've heard a little bit about you and saw your blog on Amys so I thought I'd check it out!! So yah!
Nice to meet you and God bless:)

Unknown said...

Ummmm, okay. You didn't tell me YOU MOVED!!!! We don't even have your new address. Information, please!