Monday, October 18, 2010

It's the little things...

Lately there have been some little things that have popped up as "extra exciting" in my life.  In keeping with my blog's title, I've been really aware of how things that were mundane and normal "pre-India" are now luxurious and exciting "post-India."  Here are the things that fall into that category from the last week or so.

1. Electric tooth brush.  We had one before we left, but it got "fried" from the electricity issues in India.  SO - we just got another one, and my teeth are unbelievably happy twice a day.  :)


2. Shampoo.  I've been using bad quality shampoo for a while.  While Redken shampoo will never fall into the "need" category, it is something that I tend to splurge on consistently when it's available...and this week the splurge happened.  My hair is also unbelievably happy.  :)


3. Driving/Owning a car!  In rural/small town Iowa, we're realizing that it's almost mandatory to own your own vehicle.  Since we either walked or taxied everywhere in India, I really missed the independence that comes from being able to drive yourself everywhere.  Thankfully I didn't forget how to drive, and have really appreciated the independence-factor every time I get in the car.
       My brother has graciously let me drive his siebring since we moved back, but this last week we took the leap and bought me a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica.  It has quite a few miles on it, but is an awesome car, and is exactly what I was dreaming of, even before I knew it existed.  The car itself isn't a "little thing", but the change in my attitude towards cars and the freedom they bring is something that has changed dramatically!


Other than that, hmmm...half marathon is this weekend.  Not setting any goals other than just to run it and have a good time - then we'll see how it goes, and goals will happen from there.  I've been travel-dreaming again, and have tentatively set this year's dreams in this order: Chile, New York, Haiti.  More to come as they are dismissed or become reality. :)  And, we have an in-service today at school, so I'm loving life and short school weeks!

2 comments:

Amy LaVonne said...

WAHOO for little things! And why not go to all 3 places this next year...YOLO!! :)

k said...

don't forget beef, clean water, no monkeys, and salads!!