Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Non-Issue In the States

Yesterday and today we've had a rather comedic volley of e-mails sent back and forth on all-staff e-mails, and I thought I'd share them. I took out names to keep the parties involved anonymous, but thought it was quite interesting. In the states, this issue just simply wouldn't come up...and if it did, the responses would DEFINITELY not be so opinionated. Enjoy!


Original E-Mail

On behalf of Mars and Menu Committee, we ask your voting choice of 'Yes' or 'No', in favor of Buffalo meat included on the menu, as Chicken has become expensive and difficult to purchase within the Mars (food service) budget.


Reply #1. "I don't think the stigma surrounding the killing of cows applies to buffalo's. In fact I'm pretty sure of this. They're viewed as a different species - most importantly, buffalos are dark, cows are white.

Still, it might be best to do a quick survey of the employees."

Reply #2. "As far as I know and believe in, being an Indian and a Hindu by religion, eating of both cows and buffaloes is not accepted. though with time, things might be changing a little bit."

Reply #3. "I completely agree, it will be unacceptable to some staff members, parents and even employees (who will be cooking)."

Reply #4. "The idea of buffalo meat gives the same feeling as the thought of cow meat, and both are considered unpalatable by Hindus living in India. I believe that the community around Woodstock will not appreciate this idea either."

Reply #5. "I do not eat in the school dining room but would certainly vote against the buff meat being served here."

Reply #6. "When we were here from 1995 - 1999, buffalo was regularly served. When we arrived in July, I was quite surprised to find this is no longer the case. Most of the same employees were cooking then as now and I never heard anything negative about buffalo on religious grounds. I'd be interested in knowing when and why this changed."

Reply #7. "I humbly request that we stop the all staff replies, which I must take blame for starting even though only a vote of yes or no was requested. Please, high school students and woodstock all staff do not hit the reply to all button. If you want to vote, please feel free to do so. I also would clearly acknowledge that, having lived in India for 30 years, I am aware of the dietary issues, will speak to the head cook, and will suggest an appropriate decision be made. Thank you."

Reply #8. "I have read many of the responses so far. In the '90s buffalo meat was served regularly in the school. The same employees are cooking now, so why is there such an uproar about it now? I think then as now, many of the staff became vegetarian for that meal, and I guess we can do a survey and figure out how it affects meal numbers.


For me personally, as someone who is from both Hindu and Christian background, and who has in the past been non-veg for several years, it does not matter what the meat is as long as it is from a clean and healthy vendor, you either eat or do not eat meat."


Reply #9. "Dear all,


I want you all to know that this appears to be a budgeting decision but it is not.


This issue (from a budgetary perspective) was never discussed with me nor was it ever initiated by me. This was initiated by some students based on a conversation with the head cook in which he had mentioned that chicken was expensive and could not be a part of a specific Menu that they were proposing. This was interpreted to mean that chicken will no longer be served since it is expensive. This assumption is not true.


I am meeting with the appropriate people and will take care of this issue. They are as surprised by all of this as me.


We will not be serving buffalo meat in the Woodstock kitchen.


Thank you for reading and please consider this discussion closed."



And that, non-buffalo eaters, is that!

6 comments:

A@mir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A@mir said...

(SORRY FOR POSTING THIS MAIL HERE IN THE COMMENTS. I DON"T HAVE YOUR MAIL ID. PLZZZ READ AND DELETE)

Hi C&N (Chris and Nicole),

How are you doing in Mussoorie?? It must be more chilling out there than it is here in my city Lucknow which about 500 Kms south of Mussoorie.

This mail is for both of you. You form the sweetest, ‘bestest’ couple I have ever seen. So please read it together.

About Me:-

My name is Aamir Hussain. I live in Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh. Lucknow is about 500kms south of Mussoorie.I am 19 years old (gonna be 20 this Christmas : ) ), Indian by birth, Muslim by religion, an engineering student, a bad cook, a traveler by soul, a web-designer/web-developer by hobby, a music lover, a cats + tigers + panther +leopard + jaguar + lion lover, mountain lover, and a lover too. And yes since last one month, a fan of yours. Have I forgotten to add most necessary adjective ‘huge’ with fan??

I love my girl more than anything else and more than anyone else can her. She is my angel. But our fate is not marriage. We are from two radically opposite religions. I am a Muslim and she is a Hindu. I don’t know what I will do after she wil get married to someone else from her religion and will go away forever.

Since My childhood, my life has been all about diseases, pains, troubles, losing loved ones, betrayals. The more I grew up, the more I suffered. But I decided to keep fighting (like everybody). I was tired soon. At some moments I thought of committing suicide, sometimes running away and many times for Nirvana(Nirvana at age of 18 years seems a joke to even myself now, I think now, how stupid I was then).

A@mir said...

How do I know you both?? :-

One day while googling for Mussoorie, I came across Woodstock site. They had a link to Nicole’s ‘the little things’ blog and rest you can guess.

Why I am writing this mail?? :-

Nicole and Chris, you people are simply wonderful in blogging. I will rather say Farleys are Born-Blogger 

Nicole you are great blogger. Your ‘the little things’ changed my life, changed the way I used to look at life and priorities in life. Your blog have enlighten my life, your posts have given me hopes, given me reasons to live, reasons to be happy, reasons to smile, reasons to love people, reasons to love life and be positive, and a reason to write you and thank you for reminding me- “ Life is about the little things that we just rush past”.

Chris, your website is great. It looks so alive. I loved reading puppy posts and their pooping adventures . I read all the posts, seen all pics. Your marriage, your honeymoon, your Europe trip, your old house, your new house, your gadgets, your puppies, your truck, your bike, your parents, your work, Nicole’s surgery, her choirs, her b’day sky diving, I just read everything. You both looks beautiful in your honeymoon pics and that blue t-shirt one is awesome.

Few misconceptions that I had and which you people have cleared out:

• The family values in USA are dead. Children rarely respect their parents (this what most people think in India).
• Happily married couples are rare in USA. This has lead to high divorce rate there.

But then I came to know how close knit family is yours. How much Nicole cares for Rachael and Yuvvone, how much she cares for in-laws and how much you(Chirs) love and care for Nicole. Its amazing to me. When I look at you people, I see endless happiness and miles of hopes. I just wan to know what is your secret behind being a wonderful, cutest, sweetest couple on planet and being such a great family?? Please tell me how to be happy and keep others happy..

I have started searching happiness in little things and I feel I m more happy than I was a month ago. Thanks to you both. Thanks to Stellmakers+Farleys..A very, very, very, very BBIGGGGG THANKS to you both again from the depth of heart.

With lots of love and warm wishes,

Yours Fan,
Aamir from Lucknow (India)

+91-9473583499/+91-9956864600
inferno180@gmail.com
www.aamirangels.50webs.com

P.S.- (1) I want to ask something from you both but feeling nervous because I don’t know how you will react as I m total stranger to you. I need a very little piece of time from your busy day (5 minutes or so). I know you live in South Hill, Tehri Road( that’s what Chris video-walk to school shows). I and coming on a trip to Dehradoon-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti. I will stay in Mussoorie on 29th Oct. evening(Thurusday) and 30th Oct. (Full Day). I will stay in hotel in Mussoorie for these two days. I don’t want to miss meeting you both. Please please please find some time for your fan and let me know. I mean if you have few spare minutes and you feel that you will not be uncomfortable with me then please provide me an opportunity to meet you. You can call me at 09473583499 or text a message at this number or drop me a mail at inferno180@gmail.com by tomorrow(i.e. 28th Oct. 2009 before 8pm because after that I will not be able to check my mail as I have to catch train to Dehradoon.

(2) Sorry for my poor English and grammatical mistakes.

The Paine Family said...

Ha, ha!! Can they at least serve Buffalo Wings? There is quite a lot of mystery meat in China, it's better not to ask. How are you how holiday plans coming? I need to start a list of things to talk to you about when I see you, because from time to time I think- wow, I wonder what Nicole thinks about that. You are gaining such a rich perspective. Love you!

Amy LaVonne said...

Love it!! So funny! I would say that buffalo shouldn't be eaten because they are so rare but I guess that opinion doesn't even matter because they just can't eat them to begin with! :) hmm...hmm...hmm...

Bill Kinzie said...

Don't know about buffalo meat, but buffalo milk makes the nicest cream and yogurt curds. It was our milk source on the plains of India. Enjoy your blogs...yep...it's getting chilly at Woodstock now, especially in the mornings. Hope you've enjoyed getting to know Ann Lind.