Sunday, March 01, 2009

the Church...

This is a post about some not-so-little things. We went to church this morning, and it was unreal. We go to the New Covenant Christian Church in Fort Dodge, and each week it's something different and exciting...and it ALL revolves around the beauty and excitement that is salvation. The pastor REFUSES to let us become complacent about salvation, and it's EXACTLY what I need. After my first couple of years in college, I really felt disillusioned with Christianity. I understood the basic truths, and it seemed to become common knowledge...I know how to ride a bike, drive a car, and live the Christian life. And then I started to HATE that! How can something SO important and necessary as a SAVING faith in Jesus become common place? So, I ended up becoming bitter at our complacency as Christians and kind of wandered away for a while.

But, this church REFUSES to do that, and today was basically just a party for how cool God is. 7 people accepted Christ or renewed their faith today...and that's not abnormal! I cry at the beauty of salvation almost every Sunday, I ALWAYS leave with something to challenge my soul for the week, and I ALWAYS meet with the Holy Spirit. It's so neat.

So, here's the thing I felt challenged with today. The pastor asked us to raise our hand if we had a sin we needed to confess and repent of, and at first I really couldn't think of anything (which of COURSE means there's definitely something!). And then it hit me...I need to repent of MY complacency. Since I started working full time, I haven't ever had consistent quiet times. I haven't committed to figuring out what time with Jesus looks like in this new stage of life. (P.S. For all you adult kids-at-heart, I'm realizing that this "new stage of life" isn't going to go away. BUMMER!) I have let STAY complacent, and today I saw it for what it is...it's a slap in God's face. I'm saying that He's not important enough to rearrange my time for, to figure out how to make this relationship work.

And so, here's the "big thing" of the day. I confessed, repented, and am going to change.

Top 10 favorite recent "little things":

1. this weekend I hung out with my sister for 5 hours in a car...favorite moments: A ella le gusta la gasolina (a.k.a. De la HOOP a la gasolina), Hide and Seek, Wicked. We did a lot of singing.
2. we had our first show choir competition yesterday, and even though we didn't place well, they did AWESOME. I seriously love my kids...
3. I took a 2 hour nap today.
4. my Vanilla Bean Woodwick candle is burning away right next to me right now.
5. this week is going to be INSANE, but I'm not stressed out! I may even be a tad bit excited.
6. Chris and I went to Legally Blonde Thursday, and drove with 3 sophomore girls. Chris ACTUALLY convinced one of them that he was originally from Ireland, and the way he talks now was just his English accent (he pulled out his Irish accent and had them swooning).
7. skype calls with the entire Farley family.
8. meatloaf Sunday lunches with the Stelmaker family.
9. making my first meatloaf ever
10. kissing my husband after we both listerine'd :)

No comments: