Saturday, June 02, 2012

God Knows

These last couple of weeks have been a reflection time for me as I've waved good-bye to many things (sleep, control over my schedule, to-do lists, my profession) and said hello to their replacements (exhaustion, sweet cuddle time, a focus on important vs. urgent, the new job of motherhood).  Even writing this blog post is different - I'm pecking it out one-handed at 4:00 AM while nursing, and will definitely need multiple sessions to get it finished. :)  

It was really hard for me to process the fact that I wouldn't be in the teaching world for a while.  I LOVE teaching, and felt a little like I was losing one of my ministries, not just a job.  It took awhile but I eventually allowed God to pry away my controlling little fingers and rest in His provision for our lives.  And just when I did...

Like God so often does...

He turned things upside down... :)

Webster City contacted me before Will was born to let me know that my old high school choir position was going to be available if I was interested in applying.  I told them that I really wasn't interested, unless there was a possibility of something part-time (which was a joke, since the full-time job was completely overwhelming...no way it could be turned into part-time!).  HOWEVER, the principal called me last Wednesday to tell me that they wanted to turn the job into 1 1/2 time, and since I wasn't looking for anything full-time, they wondered if I'd be interested in the part-time job.  And oh yeah...I could pick what I did, how many hours I worked, what days I came in...and salary was negotiable!

We decided to at least check it out, and after they approved every single one of our requests - we accepted!  I'll be working 2 flexible days a week, and will basically just be supporting the full-time choir director: running sectionals, accompanying, giving lessons, helping with administrative things.  :)  VERY few outside of the day commitments...my mommy dream job! 

It was amazing how God waited until I had surrendered, and then gave me what I didn't even dream was possible.  Part-time teaching jobs don't come around very often...part-time teaching jobs with everything you could dream up?  Only when God decides to drop them in your lap.  :)


2 comments:

Angela Thayer said...

Wow, Nicole! God is so good! I loved reading your story. I often think it would be nice to teach part-time! But you're right, those jobs are hard to find. Have a great summer and hope to see you around!

Erika said...

That is SO cool, Nicole!!! Such a God thing!! It's so cool how God sometimes just plops things in our lap! :)