Saturday, February 20, 2010

Story Time #1

The weather has been BEAUTIFUL here lately, and we've all been greatly enjoying the sunshine. There's a new energy, kids are running around even more than usual, everyone is being overly social...and the monkeys have joined in the fun. :)

Section A: Friday afternoon I was getting ready for class when I noticed a loud crash outside my classroom window. There are OFTEN loud crashes, so I didn't think much of it...until a monkey pushed open my door, confidently walked inside, and started going through the garbage. It was a fairly big monkey, but nothing I couldn't handle. That is, until two more of his friends joined him. I put a chair in front of me and tried to walk menacingly toward it, stomping the chair as I walked. NOTHING. I think I may have even seen a twinkle in his eye and a giggle escape his mouth, as he thought, "Nice try, lady!", and kept digging. Eventually I backed into the far corner and waited for them to get bored, which they finally did and kindly left the room.

Section B: It was about five minutes after class was supposed to start, and no kids had shown up yet. Did I have the wrong day? Was there a special event I didn't know about? I peeked my head out the door to look for them...turn to the right: the monkeys were sunbathing five feet from where my head was popped out. Turn to the left: 15 students were hiding behind the far door, yelling my name to come save them. There have been multiple monkey attacks on people, so the elementary students possess a healthy fear and usually choose to run rather than confront. :) I "calmly and confidently" went to get them, and we walked in a single-file line to class (NOT making eye contact with the sun-bathing beauties!)

Section C: Class was well under way when the door opened. I look up, expecting to see the attendance-taker making the rounds or a piano instructor coming to get one of their students...but nope. It was our dear monkey friend, once again. He meanders into the room (where I have 17 5th graders working on a composition project), and starts nosing around. I swallow my fear and CHARGE IT...and he runs away! It was pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. By the time any of the kids knew what was happening, he was gone and the door was locked. THE END!


More to come...

5 comments:

MussoorieSteve said...

You need to keep extra bananas in your room!! Not only for excellent source of potassium, but to throw at them when they come in!!! They'll take it and run away!! Granted they'll come back more often cause you're feeding them and it's dumb to feed them, BUT for those couple of minutes they are happy with that banana they won't bother you at all!!:) AND you could totally train one of them to be your monkey butler!!! AWESOME!!

Amy LaVonne said...

THAT IS HILARIOUS!! Love it!

Rachel Farley said...

Wow!! So funny!! I wish that this would have happened when I was there. I also wish I could have seen you chase that monkey :)

Mike Farley said...

Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Ok - so this is a "mom" comment, but if there have been "numerous monkey attacks" around town...PLEASE be careful. I kinda like the idea of throwing something FAR AWAY from you so they chase it and get away from my "wittle nicoley"! Glad you're safe and enjoying your stories. I love you!