Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Life this semester...

As I've been processing everything from my last post it's been really hard to get into "life" here at Woodstock...until, that is, until life CONSUMED me yesterday! I spent a good portion of yesterday's school day getting organized for this semester, and suddenly realized that I'm officially OVER-COMMITTED. This is becoming a theme in my life...help!

- I have practice supervision before school every morning

- After School Schedule:
Mondays: 4-5:00 PM 7-8th Girls Basketball
Tuesdays: 5-6:00 PM Staff Choir
Wednesdays: 3:30-4:15 PM Elementary Orff Club
4:15-5:00 PM Music Recitals
Thursdays: 3:30-4:30 PM Elementary Friendship Club
4:30-5:00 PM 7-8th Girls Basketball
Fridays: 4-5:00 PM 7-8th Girls Basketball

**Note: I had signed up to HELP coach 7-8th Girls Basketball...and then, the head coach got pregnant (yay Beth!)!!! So, my commitment has suddenly become greatly intensified, and I definitely just printed out a 153 page PDF booklet on basketball drills.

- I officially got a violin to practice on, so I'm now a part of the Beginning Strings Ensemble! More on that when I stop squeaking...

- I volunteered (WHY?!!?!) to put on a 5th grade musical at the end of the semester. Most of the practice will happen during the school day, but there's LOTS of other prep that will NOT happen during the school day. :)

- Staff Talent Show: I'm involved in a Bollywood Dance, a girl band (singing "Skater Boy"), and a Dance Review of 2000-2009 (which I need to help choreograph!).

- Chris and I are helping to lead the 3-4th Grade RE retreat next weekend, which is going to be AWESOME! It's titled "Jesus is a Superhero", and we're basing the content around "The Incredibles" and Jesus' similar traits in our lives. :) And THEN, since we're Jesus' children, how we ALSO have super-hero traits! Chris and I are introducing the retreat at next Wednesday's assembly, dressed up as "Mr. Incredible" and "Elasti-girl". I think that means wearing underwear on the OUTSIDE...

- I'm creating a choral library system and a new K-6 elementary GM curriculum this semester.

Ultimately though, I love EVERY MINUTE OF IT, and that's how this always happens to me. :) I'm finding that I really do get so much more done when I'm busy...and not because I just feel more productive, because I actually AM more productive!

A few more notes:

- My sister is OFFICIALLY booked to come visit us! She's flying in on June 14th, and we won't leave until July 16th to go to Ireland...so we have a MONTH to fill up here in India! I'm taking my "dream list" over to the travel office today to see what we can make happen. WAHOO!

- I've been cooking almost every night! Cooking here has been a really exciting challenge, because there are so many items that you just can't get...so you have to substitute for everything! These are my most common substitutes, but I really haven't found any recipes yet that I came make as is.
Buttermilk = 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Heavy Cream = milk and butter
Sour Cream = yogurt substitute

- I started running last week...and then blew out my knee. So, in the midst of this madness, I can't run. Maybe a blessing from Jesus?! :)

And with that, off to read about Basketball Drills!

3 comments:

STEPHANIE. said...

What?...Nicole over-committed?..NO!..:) I love that about you. I think that ties into your last post about change. You totally are one to love the unloved and go out of your way for the unloved. I have always seen that in you, and I think that is why you are over-committed. For all those good reasons....but yes I understand you need your sanity too. :) THis probably should be a comment for your last post as well, but I just wanted to let you know that I really admire your ability to just totally surrender your life to Christ. Your eyes are open to see what he has for you. He has some amazing plans for you and Chris. Surrender is something I have been learning so much deeper about lately and thought I would share a quote I found by Oswald Chambers-" I have nothing to do with what will happen if I obey. I must abandon myself to God's call in unconditional surrender and smilingly wash my hands of the consequences." I have found this to be hard, scary and emotional. What a strong woman you are. Smiles. :) Can't wait to hear more about what God has planned for you guys.

The Bovens said...

FYI - You don't have to have basketball practice three times a week. Last year, we very rarely had more than one a week for girls or boys. Take it easy...

--dave--

Bill Kinzie said...

Have to encourage you to keep after that violin thing. (I'm biased since I'm a violinist...hehehe!)It's the key that unlocks entry into significant networks when you are proficient.
Don't burn out...believe me the world will not come to a crashing halt if one one or more of your activities is eliminated.

Enjoy your upbeat posts! You're in a very stimulating environment. BLESSINGS!