Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Holy Hormones!

I can hardly believe it, but I'm officially into my 3rd trimester!  I haven't posted much about pregnancy, mostly because it has FLOWN by shockingly fast.  I'm just now realizing how few pictures I've taken, how much still needs to be done...and mostly, how ready I am to meet this little guy!  He's moving SO much lately - mostly at night from 7-10.  Sometimes we'll just stare at my stomach and giggle at the funny alienesque movements. :)  He had the hiccups for the first time the other night, and that was especially fun.  It was just such a human thing to have...makes me realize that there is a small PERSON inside of me!  WHAT?!?!

Over the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing some more intense hormones, which has been interesting. :)  I've been surprised at how stable my emotions have been throughout the pregnancy, but right on cue I became weepy and crazy at the onset of the third trimester.  I've really enjoyed learning what's going on in my body - to understand the process feels empowering, and less like everything is being ripped out of my control (even though it really is!).

We've also been going to classes (parent, childbirth, breastfeeding) and reading books (birth partner, breastfeeding, childbirth) - whoa education!  I wanted to get the classes out of the way early, since March and April will be really busy with school and concerts and getting things ready for me to leave all summer.  It's been really fun to go together and then just talk about our reactions/emotions to the information we just learned. 

Mostly though, I'm changing and transitioning slowly but surely as I grow my "mommy heart."  It's amazing how differently I think of baby stuff and baby conversations and all the extra things I want to know.  When it's for someone you love so much, it suddenly looks and feels VERY different. :)  It's not all-consuming or anything, but it's definitely on my mind more than expected!

And so - a few hormone stories!

1. I've been SERIOUSLY nesting, and since I have had a very little amount of free time, it's felt a little frustrating, as I haven't been able to actually get much of anything done!  Last Wednesday night we had set aside a little time to move things around in the "baby room"...but we needed my dad's help.  He wasn't available like I had hoped he would be, and I just LOST IT!  Crying, feeling so helpless, I told Chris I just needed to go lay in bed and cry.  That lasted about a minute until my nesting instincts kicked in again and I found myself scouring the bathroom cupboards and labeling every box in sight.  Chris came in, had a good laugh, and we rearranged the bedroom over the weekend instead. :)

2. Friday after school my mom and I did some errands in Ames, and then decided it'd be fun to meet up with our men for supper.  Mom talked to dad, but I couldn't get a hold of Chris...for a long time...because his phone was off and went straight to voicemail.  If any of you know Chris well, you'll realize that this was, in fact, COMPLETELY abnormal.  In the entire 6 1/2 years that we've been married, I don't think Chris' phone has ever run out of batteries.  He has a work charger, a phone charger, and two home chargers.  He often plugs my phone in for me, as he can't stand for any phone to be uncharged!  At first I didn't think anything of it, but the more I thought logically (and YES, it was logical!), I couldn't figure out why his phone would be off.  I e-mailed him, knowing that he would check it if he was at work, and still hadn't heard back from him 30 minutes later.  By this time I had dropped my mom off to meet my dad for supper, and was trying to decide if I should just go home or go look for my husband on the side of the road.  I opted to go to his work office...and by the time I found him (safe and sound!) in his office, was a complete wreck. :)  I cried for a good 15 minutes, made him feel sufficiently awful for forgetting to plug his phone in, and thoroughly exhausted myself.  Good times had by all!

It's all worth it though. :)  Bring on the babe!

2 comments:

The Paine Family said...

I love you and your hormones (: Belly pictures please!!

STEPHANIE. said...

hehe. I love you. :)...and yes I agree, belly pics please! I need to see your cuteness. :)